[obol] Barview Snow Bunting continues

  • From: Wink Gross <winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:53:51 -0700

Michael LaCombe, visiting from Maine, and I birded Tillamook County today.
Best bird
was the SNOW BUNTING at Barview Jetty, reported earlier.  We were disappointed
that
the only rockpipers were 3 BLACK TURNSTONES, but we did see five BROWN PELICANS,
a half dozen PIGEON GUILLEMOTS and two MARBLED MURRELETS in the channel.

A SWAMP SPARROW was unusually conspicuous along Goodspeed Road near the first
right-turn, and a BLACK PHOEBE was at the bridge.  A very studly RUFOUS
HUMMINGBIRD
was most obliging at Rain River (aka Tillamook Bay Wetlands).    Another BLACK
PHOEBE
was at Bay City sewage ponds.

On the way to the coast this morning, we stopped at Fernhill Wetlands, where we
found a
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW by the parking lot a couple minutes after Michael asked
me if they ever occur in Oregon.  Meanwhile, what is going on with the
landscaping at
Fernhill???  Doesn't really look like good habitat--it looks as if they were
planning to put up
condos there.  Very strange.

Wink Gross
Portland