[obol] Re: Barn Swallows 2014

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fschrock@xxxxxxxxx>, <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 21:40:45 -0700

Floyd,

We didn’t see your posting before we headed out to look for the swallows this
evening.  Going down Rt 221 south of Dayton, we saw lots of swallows heading
EAST near Greenacres Rd.  Nonetheless, we went down to Grand Island, and drove
to the far north end.  We saw LOTS OF BARN SWALLOWS in the air, but no corn on
the ground in that part of the island.  It looked like the birds were going
toward an area south of Greenacres Rd and East of Lambert Slough.

We returned to the Pumpkin Patch Hqtrs and looked down on the fields where the
birds have roosted the last couple years.  Less than half of that bottom land
NE of the white barn/little railroad area is now in corn; the rest is plowed or
wheat stubble.  We DIDN’T SEE ANY SWALLOWS there at all.

We didn’t have time to get to Greenacres Rd. before dark.

Future searches:

We can look at Portland weather radar 6:30-7:00 AM tomorrow for the flyout of
swallows.

We expect to go back to Greenacres Rd. tomorrow evening.

Another possibility is to look on the Marion County side of the Willamette
River, somewhere south of the mouth of Lambert Slough.  Google Maps show
addresses like 159xx, 161xx, 162xx on Saint Paul - Fairfield Rd. (AKA River
Rd.)  That would put you a mile from the Willamette River, but you’d have the
sunset to show off the cloud of birds.

Happy Barn Swallow hunting!

Paul Sulllivan & Carol Karlen

McMinnville