[obol] Bandon Alcid

  • From: Neil Bjorklund <nbjorklund@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:03:47 -0700

Haven¹t posted here in years, but starting to get out birding more of late.
Hello everyone!

Yesterday, standing on the north jetty of the Coquille River at Bandon, I
saw at close range (about 50 meters) a small, plump-bodied sea bird that was
basically all black with a white belly, with shortish wings and head.  The
head was clearly all black or dark gray, and the body looked distinctively
plump and rounded.  The wind was blowing fiercely from the south and as the
bird flew south towards me on the jetty, it hit the wind coming over the
jetty and got blown back around to the north.  I tentatively ID¹ed this as a
Rhinoceros Auklet, but I¹ve had relatively little experience with sea birds.
Is there some other species I should also consider?

I also saw about 25 Sabine¹s gulls flying over the jetty at close
range‹quite a lovely sight.  On the beach, an exhausted and confused looking
Marbled Godwit seemed to be looking for a place to get out of the wind (or
maybe just to hide from me).  As I walked up the beach, many gulls were
headed south, flying only a few inches above the sand.  It looked like a
hard go for the south-bounders.

Thanks,

Neil Bjorklund
Eugene, OR