[obol] Another Coos Ruff 8/1/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 18:40:11 -0700

Holly and I headed south to CA via the coast on Saturday AM.  Stopped to do
some scouting for Elegant Terns in Gold Beach and we were skunked!  I guess
they all headed north?  In Brookings we saw 50 to 100 off the jetty in the
Harbor area.

I then heard from Peter Low that he had seen 200 ELEGANT TERNS in Bandon on
Sunday AM, I have never seen more than about 30 in the county and the
record for Bandon I knew of was 12 so that was amazing, plus the Ruff
there- ouch.  Nice finds as usual Peter!  I also heard from Tom Gaskill
that on Sunday he saw 200 ELEGANT TERNS near Charleston in Coos Bay- so it
sounds like the same birds! Nice find Tom- hopefully these birds will be
around for next weekends Shorebird Festival.

Today (Monday) on our way back up we saw about 100 Elegant in Gold Beach
and another 100 between there and Euchre Creek. Who knows which birds are
what and how many are actually north in Oregon and WA now?  In Bandon it
was high tide and I saw zero Elegants and couldn't check for shorebirds
because there was no mud exposed.  Not knowing about the Coos Bay Elegants
we headed home.

After unpacking I decided to check the north spit of Coos Bay, old Weyco
pond site, where I was pleasantly surprised to see a juvie RUFF on the
little mud patch on the NW end of the mudflats.  Only a few peeps there
besides the Ruff. It's a few miles between there and Bandon so I suspect
different birds?

Anyhow, things are "heating up" for the Shorebird Fest!

Merry migration,
Tim R
Coos Bay