[obol] Re: Anna's Hummingbird nestlings

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 06:35:53 -0500

Yesterday I was too busy to check BNA (Birds of North America), but finally
got a chance and it answered my question.  BNA states this about Anna’s and
egg-laying:

“Egg-Laying

Eggs sometimes laid before nest is finished; construction continues. One
nest had eggs laid in the morning and 48 h apart (Kelly
<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/226/articles/biblio/bib061>
1955). Eggs laid a minimum of 48 h apart in a nest observed by Maender et
al. (1996
<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/226/articles/biblio/bib070> ); in
mornings 24 h apart (Woods
<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/226/articles/biblio/bib131>
1940); on consecutive days (Dawson
<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/226/articles/biblio/bib029>
1923). Hybrid Anna’s × Costa’s hummingbirds lay their eggs 48 h apart at
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson, AZ (K. Krebbs pers. comm.). No
replacement of eggs or clutches, but may renest nearby. There are rare
reports of 3 eggs in 1 nest (e.g. Hall 1947);  has documented that 1 bird
laid all three eggs (Woods
<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/226/articles/biblio/bib131>  1940,
WFVZ).”

So, if there are 3 nestlings in that nest, it seems to be an unusual event
and is noteworthy.  Just thought I would share my discovery in case anyone
else wondered about it as I did.  :-)

Lori Markoff

  _____