[obol] American Dipper

  • From: Lillian <lillian.e@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 17:18:52 -0800

Hi Birders,

A couple weeks ago there was a post on OBOL about Bald Eagles fishing the
Klickitat River (in Washington) during the salmon run... I had visions of the
pictures you see on the rivers in Alaska with all the eagles on the river
hunting salmon... We didn't see any salmon, but we did see lots of eagles (and
we had a wonderful day).

This American Dipper was sighted at a fish hatchery near the Klickitat River...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/16260159209/in/set-72157648810779146

I have never seen a dipper at a fish hatchery before. Having the bird sitting
up on the edge of the "pond" allowed me to get a good view of the legs & feet
that are usually hidden when the birds are at the river's edge. There were
actually two dippers and they were chasing each other. I'm not sure if it was a
courtship behavior, or just a territorial dispute.

There will be turkey photos from this trip eventually...

Lillian