[obol] American Bittern Killin Wetlands 031513

  • From: Dennis Manzer <manzed_99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 20:25:11 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings!

     031513 Jessica Belknap, Jim McBlaine & I visited Killin Wetlands W of
Banks, OR in Washington County.  Overall not very birdy, but finally after an
hour of diligent searching we were on the way back to the truck when Jessica
spied an AMERICAN BITTERN just 30 yards S of Banks Rd.  The bird was very
cooperative as it silently foraged in the open and through the tall grass on a
hummock.  MARSH WRENS were occasionally sounding off but not in their usual
frenzy and they managed to stay very well hidden.  We saw nor heard Sora nor
Virginia Rail, no swallows, no Wilson's snipe.  A handful (barely) of
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS were present.  A few of the usual large ducks present.
There was a nice male NORTHERN HARRIER soaring high over the S side of the
wetland.

     Heading E on Banks Rd. we encountered 22 Wapiti in an ag field on the N
side of the road. A nice bonus.

Cheers!
Dennis

Yours for better birding!