[obol] Amazing gathering of Bald Eagles on Cowlitz River

  • From: Steve Nord <stevernord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 20:07:35 -0800

OBOL;

Following up on separate reports from Darrel Whipple and Dave Irons about
BALD EAGLES at the mouth of the Cowlitz River just south of Longview WA,
I've made trips out to witness this amazing spectacle on Monday and today.

Since there is almost no good public access on the Washington side to see
this spot, I used the public docks in the town of Rainier on the Oregon
side.  A scope is really needed as the birds are far away, but they are
eagles, large enough to note with just binoculars, just not a lot of
detail.

My count today was 237 Bald Eagles (83 adults, 154 immature birds).  Most
were perched in trees throughout the area, others use logs and sandbars on
the river. Since most were perched, it was somewhat easy to do a scan and
count.  I did 2 counts which resulted in similar numbers.  Also present are
many California Sea Lions.

If you go, an area just a few miles south of Rainier along Hwy 30, is great
for swans, including a healthy number of TRUMPETER SWANS.  In eBird it's
called "Carr Slough", viewed from Graham Road.  Two days ago I had a
"Bewick's" Swan here,  but I did not see it today.  There were fewer swans
today.

My eBird report for the eagle gathering, including very poor photos
(digiscoped at such a distance):

eBird report for Carr Slough today: (Scope useful here too)

<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S22075203>

Good Birding
Steve Nord
Beaverton, OR