[obol] Re: Acorn Woodpecker west of Creswell

  • From: Noah Strycker <noah.strycker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nelson_sm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nelson_sm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:00:51 -0700

Hi Sally and OBOL,

Wow - I also had an Acorn Woodpecker in my yard this morning, five miles east
of Creswell - first I've ever seen here, and a big surprise at 1200' in the
foothills. The closest colony I know of is west of Creswell at the north end of
Sher Khan Rd, which I first stumbled upon a couple years ago and continues to
host ACWOs, though these traveling birds could be from anywhere.

Also had my first Varied Thrush of the season here this morning (right on time)
and our first Sooty Fox Sparrow arrived on Sep 4th, my earliest-ever fall date.

Good birding,

Noah Strycker