[obol] Accipters migrating--Keep looking UP

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:25:55 -0700

   I'm out here on the patio, doing the usual Monday morning phone calls. An
unfamiliar squealing turned out to be an adult Sharp-shinned Hawk. It flew back
and forth around the yard, inside the tree crowns. I thought maybe another ,
female, Sharp-shin was in the vicinity and this was some sort of courtship.
Then way up high, a quarter mile or more, I saw a GOSHAWK. It was kettling,
getting ever higher. IN the month of April I'm never sure if this sort of
detection is a local bird enjoying good weather or a migrant. Probably half of
all annual detections at my house are in April.  Lars