[obol] Re: About the science end of birding, work, and fun

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 11:30:34 -0700

Well said, David -

In a previous career I did call myself a scientist.  My current one, not so
much, but I do know how to formulate a hypothesis, design a study, and
analyze data to evaluate the hypothesis.  I do have an interest in patterns
of molt. I have even published on the subject in the past.  My preferred
approach to interacting with birds and nature is different from Dave's, or
Paul's, or Mike Patterson's, but I hope no more or less "valid."  Mine
involves telephoto lenses more than spotting scopes, and extended study of
particular individuals more than cataloging of all the species in an area.

I think we should all feel secure in our own approaches.  We should also be
tolerant of each others' approaches, and more importantly, tolerant of of
each others' reporting and advocacy.  I enjoy Paul's accounts of finding
his 190th and 191st species in a county, and I enjoy Dave's descriptions of
blitzing random sections of distant counties.  I tend to resist the
implications that I ought to be turning in lots of ebird checklists, but I
do not resent the suggestion that I should.

I do not turn in ebird checklists, in part because my preferred approach
does not yield very good checklists, and because Oregon is getting awesome
coverage by birders who do follow its preferred approaches more closely
than I do.

Oregon has plenty of room for all of our activities, and we should glean
what we value from each others' posts, and let pass without rancor the
parts that are less personally relevant.

The recent discussion of Mockingbird distribution and occurrence started
with a complaint about ebird filtering, but I learned good stuff about
Mockingbird occurrence and I think a lot of us benefited from at least that
part of the discussion.

One important lesson to remember:  the structure of email and other
web-based communication disables the instant feedback (much nonverbal) that
happens in face-to-face conversation, so it is a lot harder to avoid the
kinds of statements that others might find overly critical.  So, it is
important to 1) think through what you write from the perspective of what
might offend parts of your audience that you may not have even met, and 2)
be slow to take offence at others' postings that may not completely adhere
to your sense of proper decorum.  My current career includes a fair amount
of meeting facilitation.  One of the more important facets of that is to
recognize when people are talking past each other, for example answering a
different question than the one asked, and intervening gently to get them
actually communicating.  List serves do not do very well at that, so we
need to train ourselves to read and think twice when a post strikes us as
off-base or offensive.

Wayne