[obol] Re: AOU Checklist 54th Supplement

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 16:24:07 -0700

Barolo Shearwater?  What's next, Pinot Petrel?

--
Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

Now available by this author:

College and State. How states regulate colleges.

The Mind on Edge: John Jay Chapman's philosophy of higher education.

Song After All: the Letters of Reginald Shepherd and Alan Contreras.

From:  Dave Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
Date:  Sun, 4 Aug 2013 17:40:23 +0000
To:  OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [obol] AOU Checklist 54th Supplement

Greetings All,

As the latest issue of the Auk (The AOU Journal) has yet to hit the streets,
I got a private query about my "sources" for the latest AOU Checklist
changes (54th Supplement). Both Michael Retter and Rick Wright have posted
summaries of the changes on the American Birding Association blog site.
Retter's summary is the second story down at the link below.

In addition to the Sagebrush/Bell's Sparrow split, note the changes to
shorebirds, with many species being shifted into the genus Calidris.
Flammulated Owl gets assigned to a new genus, and Providence Petrel­a bird
likely and perhaps already seen in Oregon waters­has been accepted and added
to the North American list.

I was happy to see the long-overdue abandonment of Little Shearwater has
finally come about, with the records of small black-and-white shearwaters in
the North Atlantic now more accurately reflected by the addition of Barolo
Shearwater (replaces Little Shearwater on the AOU Checklist), which many
sources (including Howell 2012) have been treating as a separate species. If
I'm remembering this right (can't put my hands on our copy of Howell's
book), mitochondrial DNA studies have shown that both Barolo Shearwater and
Boyd's Shearwater (traditionally treated as Macronesian Shearwater) are more
closely related to Audubon's Shearwater and not closely related to the
nominate Southern Hemisphere Little Shearwater.

http://blog.aba.org/

Dave Irons
Portland, OR