[obol] Re: ADV: accipiter confusion

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pamela Johnston <pamelaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 11:10:39 -0800

Thanks to Chuck Gates, Karen Saxton and Pamela Johnston for their quick responses. Although Chuck tried to teach me how to tell by eye position, I just can't see it. However, Karen gave the most telling clue: measure the branch! I ran outside with my trusty ruler and found that the branch is 2" in diameter, more or less. Measuring from tip of head to tip of tail in my photo, the hawk was only 10" long, although probably slightly longer when not scrunched down trying to digest its prey in peace. At any rate, it was much smaller than I estimated, showing how inept I am at size measurements. Size plus those sharp shins make it hard to be anything but a little Sharp-shinned Hawk.

I still wonder how these accipiters tell each other apart...

Linda

On 11/30/2013 10:54 AM, Pamela Johnston wrote:
I'm going with Sharp-shinned. This is an adult bird, by the eye color
and breast and belly pattern. The bird is perched up and slouching it
neck, so it looks bulky through the neck and shoulders, maybe giving the
impression that it's bigger than it really is. You've captured the small
face. A close-up of a Cooper's face would look more like a Buteo, with
strong projecting brows shielding the eyes, while this bird's head is
more rounded, going toward the parakeet end of the scale. The prey
doesn't say much, since it's so small, it does show the opportunistic
way that raptors feed. Nice photos!

Pamela Johnston

-----Original Message----- From: Linda Fink
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2013 10:32 AM
To: OBOL
Subject: ADV: [obol] accipiter confusion

I hate to ask this again, but... what is this blessed accipiter??

http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/accipiter-confusion.html

--
http://lindafink.blogspot.com/
http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/