[obol] Re: A good bird for us, pretty common for everyone else - Coos Cty

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:47:22 -0700

Now, if we could get one of those wandering Acorn Woodpeckers to pass thru the yard.....we'd be really freaking happy!!

PS - I have been a little surprised we have not seen more southwestern species wandering around Oregon this summer and fall....considering the drought conditions in California. I have to wonder if some of the Acorn Woodpecker movement is related to drought and fire......how about Painted Buntings, Lawrence's Goldfinches, Phainopeplas, etc etc etc......?????

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 9/18/2014 5:54 PM, Lars Per Norgren wrote:
I'm fascinated. The nearest reliable Scrub Jays to Dave and Kathy's yard are at
Norway I would imagine, several miles upstream from Coquille. When  I was doing
the Coquille Valley CBC with Romain Cooper and Christy Dunn about three years
ago the last species of the day, and best bird of the day for us, was Scrub Jay
at Cedar Point, at least five miles north of Norway. I've had eight Scrub Jay
detections at my house in the Coast Range nw of Banks (Washington Co) over 21
years and seven of those were in September.   Lars
On Sep 18, 2014, at 4:31 PM, DJ Lauten and KACastelein wrote:

Kathy just watched a SCRUB JAY move thru our yard, 5 miles north of Bandon,
Coos Cty.   This may seem ho-hum to most, but Scrub Jays are amazingly scarce
on the coastal plain in Coos Cty.   For us, this is only the second time in
about 13+ years of living here that we had a Scrub Jay in the yard.    Kathy
watched the bird move off to the south.

Cheers
Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein
Bandon OR