[obol] A few Curry Birds of Late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 07:00:50 -0800

Terry Wahl reports the following:

1- BARN SWALLOW (on 11/23 a the family ranch near Cape Blanco).

No TROPICAL KINGBIRDS on the ranch since 28 Nov which is the same last day
for the bird on the north spit of Coos Bay.

Terry saw a TURKEY VULTURE on 12/5 along the Elk River. He said there were
two around last weekend.  Knute saw a single Turkey Vulture yesterday also
on the Elk River, maybe two birds are still around?

Oh, no Ring-necked Pheasants in Coos Bay for me for several years. I use to
see/hear them on the north spit but the habitat has changed and I think
they get hunted out quick after they get released.  I have seen them being
released and immediately hunted out there!  Once heard a bobwhite singing
out there. The bobwhite is not on my Coos list though so why should I have
counted pheasant?  Interesting.  I think the new rules have opened the
gates so wide that listing has become even more of a joke than it already
is.  I personally don't count any Coos birds on my list that have not been
accepted by OBRC either.  Beyond that (the county level) the whole listing
thing gets too crazy, almost as bad as stamp or coin collecting, both of
which I admit I did as a kid...

As long as you are having fun- ENJOY!
Tim R
Coos Bay