[obol] 7,780 Vaux's swifts at Agate Hall

  • From: "MS&DL" <maeveanddick@xxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 09:50:20 -0700

Last night (April 25th) we counted 7,780 Vaux's swifts go down the chimney
at Agate Hall on the University of Oregon campus in Eugene.  Two distinct
groups went into the chimney.  The first group went in at 6:47 p.m. and only
consisted of 375 birds.  We thought that perhaps the cool weather was
causing an anomaly and that was perhaps it for the evening.  However, an
hour later another 7,405 birds appeared and dropped into the chimney very
quickly for a total of 7,780.  A Cooper's hawk took four swifts during the
three hours we were observing, which really ticks off the others.  This was
also the first evening for the spring "Welcome Back The Swifts" event the
Audubon Society of Lane County sponsors each spring and fall.  Around 40 to
50 people came and the ones that waited for the second group of swifts were
thrilled.  The second evening of this low key event is May 2nd.

Dick Lamster, Maeve Sowles and Art Farley