[obol] 70 - 100,000 Barn Swallows on Grand Island

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Yamhill Birders" <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "MidValley birding" <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 21:42:37 -0700

Folks,

This evening we went out to Grand Island in SE Yamhill County, OR, to check for roosting BARN SWALLOWS. We checked the location where the birds were roosting in the fall of 2012 and found an estimated 70 to 100,000 birds going down into a cornfield. We watched from sunset at 7:55 until 8:20 when the last of the birds went down. The location is on the north side of Grand Island Loop Rd. across from the white barn and parking area of the Pablo Munoz farms. You can view from the roadside looking down a farm field lane into the bottomland.

The legions of birds gather and swirl overhead in a loop about a 1 mile wide. They tower high into the sky and concentrate as the sun sets. Then they begin to descend to the lever of the tops of the corn. There they swirl in a tighter circle before finally settling in. Meanwhile, more are coming behind them. It is a spectacle.

On Google Maps plug in the location 45.132,-123.0199 or "21425 SE Grand Island Loop Rd., Dayton, OR" and it will take you to the spot.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan & Carol Karlen
McMinnville

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Yamhill Birders" <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "MidValley birding" <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: "Carol Karlen" <carolk@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "Bruce Cousens" <pmartins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 7:03 AM
Subject: Update: the fall roost of Barn Swallow on Grand Island

Folks,

This morning we can see the radar signature of the BARN SWALLOWS flying out from their roost on Grand Island in Yamhill County, OR.

If you go to http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=0&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=RTX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=45.20659256&lon=-123.21671295&label=McMinnville,OR&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

and look at the images from 6:11 to 6:20 to 6:30 AM today, you will see a burst of green originating in the SE corner of Yamhill County, moving ENE into Marion County, and dispersing.

If you get to the map and find the current time image, do this.
1. Click on the "animate map" button in the upper left hand corner, then
2. Click on the "stop map" button in the upper left hand corner. This will bring up "previous" and "next" buttons at the bottom of the map.
3. Use the "previous" button to navigate back to 6:11 AM

We hope to get out to Grand Island this evening, weather permitting, to pinpoint which cornfield the birds are using.

Paul Sullivan & Carol Karlen
McMinnville

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Yamhill Birders" <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Bruce Cousens" <pmartins@xxxxxxxxxx>