[obol] 3/15/13 - Union County, OR : Eurasian GREEN-WINGED TEAL

  • From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
  • To: birding-neoregon-group@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 14:40:19 -0400 (EDT)

Birders -

Yesterday (3/14), I found a male Eurasian GREEN-WINGED TEAL at Ladd Marsh
WMA.  I was unable to get any photos or video on 3/14.  Today (3/15),  I
relocated the Eurasian GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and was "successful" in getting a
bit of video.  The video is a little reminiscent of Grimlin's 1931  California
Big Foot footage.  The diagnostic video can be viewed  here:

http://s1130.beta.photobucket.com/user/avitours/media/EGWTE_zps87c2691e.mp4.
html

The Eurasian GREEN-WINGED TEAL was associating with approximately 30
American GREEN-WINGED TEAL in the water on the east side of Peach Road between
the old school house and Wilkenson Road.

According to my records this is only the second record of this Eurasian
Teal from Union County.  The first record came from the Grande Ronde Valley
in February of 1981 (Evanich).  I did have a horizontal barrless
Green-winged Teal from January 12th, 2009, from the La Grande Waste Water
Treatment
Ponds, but I think it was just a first year male molting into breeding
plumage.

TREE SWALLOWS were also at several locations around Ladd Marsh WMA.

Good birding,

- Trent

The  Bobolink - Linking Birders & Birds

1707 5th Street