[obol] 22-25,000 BARN SWALLOWS - location information

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:24:43 -0700

Folks,

This evening we went out to look for the roost of the BARN SWALLOWS near the
Willamette River in eastern Yamhill county, south of Dayton.

Turning east from Rt 221 on Mallard Ln to Dorsey Rd. we discovered that this
site has an insignificant cornfield and no access/poor visibility looking
south.

We returned to Rt 221. Turning east on Greenacres Rd we found HUGE
cornfields between  1.1-1.6 miles east of Rt 221 on the north side of the
road.  Visibility is limited because the corn is right next to the road and
TALL.  At 1.9 miles from Rt 221 there is a nice open wheat field that is now
stubble.  It provides an excellent view.  Looking north across this field we
saw two vortexes of BARN SWALLOWS going down into cornfields.  We estimate
20-25,000 birds.  At 2.3 miles from Rt 221 there is another open field with
another cornfield at the back of it (again on the north side of Greenacres
RD), but we saw no swallows there.  Greenacres Rd. ends shortly after that.

We could see from our vantage point on Greenacres Rd. that the birds were
not roosting on the east side of the Willamette River in Marion county; they
were coming from that direction into the Yamhill county site.

A phone call from Floyd Schrock let us know that Barn Swallows were not
roosting on Grand Island this evening.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sulllivan & Carol Karlen

McMinnville