[obol] Re: 1980-81 Breitenbush Grouse ID assistance

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dawn v <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 09:28:21 -0700

Hi Dawn,

Your grouse is a SOOTY GROUSE. Especially in the 2nd photo, the spread tail
can be seen, and it clearly shows the dark feathers with a pale,
bluish-gray terminal band. Ruffed Grouse, the only other possible grouse in
that area, would show a rufous-brown (or pale grayish) tail with a broad,
black subterminal band.

Fun to look through old pictures!

Good birding

Hendrik

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM, dawn v <d_villa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Going back through some old photos, found 4 pictures of a GROUSE of some
sort who wandered into our Breitenbush campground back around 1980. Not
really good photos and I can't seem to match it up to anything in my field
guide so I scanned them. Breitenbush is about 10 miles east of Detroit,
Oregon.

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/Camping1980_Breitenbush_1_zpsd3qhfzgj.jpg.html

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/Camping1980_Breitenbush_2_zpszxkvmkkn.jpg.html

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/Camping1980_Breitenbush_3_zpsihsee7nk.jpg.html