[obol] 10/23/14 - Lake Selmac : RED-THROATED PIPIT

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "AVITOURS@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 06:30:17 -0400

Birders -
Mike  Mahoney and I just returned (10/24, 2:30 AM), from a successful trip
to Lake  Selmac to see the continuing RED-THROATED PIPIT.  A few things that
I noticed during our  visit that might be helpful for future searchers
include:  Being patient.  The Pipits seem to prefer the SW  mudflat, but do
travel around the lake shore.  If they are not at the SW mudflat, check  the
rocky rip-raff at the spillway/impoundment near the western portion of the
lake.  As we traveled to and from  the SW and SE portions of the lake, I had
the passenger window down, and I heard  Pipits near the damn.  I would not
doubt that this is a secondary location for these Pipits.  We also checked the
SE portion of the  lake near the boat ramp, but came up empty handed;
however, this may be a good  place to check if they are nowhere else to be
found.
 Cellular phone service can be spotty  around the lake.  If you plan on
being connected with other birders around the lake, maybe bring 2-way  radios.
 It appears that the whole  lake shore is either private or Josephine
County Park.  The Park Rangers may enforce a 4 $ per  vehicle per day fee, as
it
is posted at numerous locations around the lake.  Thanks again, Russ for
finding the  bird and giving great directions and specifics.  Thanks to Judy
Meridith and Bob Stites  for calling and getting us back on the bird.  This
was a life bird for Mike and  me.
Good  birding, Trent