[oagitm] Re: requesting assistance -kp

  • From: "Mark Decker" <DeckerML@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<kpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:38:05 -0800

We donate our old PCs to local tax-supported K-12 schools, but directly rather
than through a NGO, on a first-come-first-served basis.  Non-profits that are
aligned with county goals and have been vetted and approved by the County
Administrator are also eligible to receive surplus gear if the schools don't
consume all the supply.  For example, we've donated to the local historical
society, domestic violence shelter, etc.  Faith-based organizations aren't
eligible due to constitutional prohibition on government support of religion (I
can send you a copy of Counsel's legal opinion on this if you want it).

Best regards,

Mark L. Decker
Director / CIO
Information Technology Services
Jackson County, Oregon
(541) 774-6023

>>> "Kathie Powell" <kpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 12/03/2009 12:35 PM >>>
Do any Counties have a policy or procedure for donating PC's to a volunteer
organization or other entity in your County? I have a Commissioner that wants
me to research
the possibility of starting a Computers for Kids program (NACO CountyNews, Oct.
5, 2009). Any information on what your County does with surplus computers will
be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you.

Kathie Powell, Computer Services Mgr.