[oagitm] Fwd: Re: Public Records request for GIS data.

  • From: "Craig Cole" <ccole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:06:51 -0700

I thought I would pass on the City of Salem's experience with these type of
requests.  This is from the City's GIS Supervisor, she makes a good point, that
any request of this type needs to be followed up with a live conversation.
Hope it helps.

From: Susan Blohm
To:Cole, Craig
Date: 9/11/2009 5:37 PM
Subject: Fwd: [oagitm] Re: Public Records request for GIS data.
Hi Craig,

Interesting.  Sentry Dynamics, Inc. has requested data from us in the past.
zoning in 10/08 and aerials in 2/09.  They have been reasonable and responsive.

I hate those requests when they say they want "everything"!  In those cases, I
have a frank conversation with the customer and tell them that is an
"unreasonable request" to ask of a robust GIS database with over a 10 year
history.  I ask the customer what they are really looking for and how they
intend to use the data.  Once they start talking... and I make suggestions as
to what they really need... they seem to be satisfied with a paired down
version of their request, like 5-10 thematic layers.  What I have found from
customers who say they want everything... is that they don't know what they are
asking for, and they do not really know what to ask for.  Once a conversation
about use and intent and tools and final products occurs, they change their
minds.

Feel free to pass on our experiences to the oagitm crowd...

Thanks for sharing!

>>> Craig Cole 9/11/2009 4:15 PM >>>
FYI in case it is of interest or we get a call.

From: "SWACKHAMER Sherry J" <sherry.j.swackhamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:<msoots@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Joel_Bradach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 9/11/2009 3:39 PM
Subject: [oagitm] Re: Public Records request for GIS data.
This company, Sentry Dynamics, is contacting all counties it seems and asking
for the same information that Metro has. He wants monthly rather than quarterly
information. Thanks for the ORS reference.