[nvda-addons] Re: Emoticons: new add-on to review

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 08:39:17 +0200

Hi Noelia, Chris,

Emoticon addon looks good and is a good idea.
I have the following conserns:

dic files are the most dificult for translators, and it is also dificult to
write anything that can make it easier for translators to see when/how a dic
file changes, because there is so much information condensed into one line.
They also have to be extremely careful about tabs and spaces.
Also exposing regular expressions opens dorrs for mistakes to be introduced.
If a regular expression is improved, then this would at the moment show up as a
difference for translators, even if the smiley has not actually changed.

Therefore I suggest, maybe adding a python file data.py, with something like:

emoticons = [
    # Translators :) smiley
    ( _("smiley"), '(\s|^)(:([\-]|)([)]{1})(\B|\s|$))'),
    # Translators :( sad smiley
    ( _("sad smiley"), '(\s|^)(:([\-]|)([(]{1})\B)'),
]

this means the translators can use poedit as normal just for the
translatable parts, and it becomes much easier to deal with on the
translation system side.
We can generate the temporary dictionary data dic format on the fly in code:
lines = []
for emName, emRegexp in data.emoticons:
    lines.append(u"{regexp}\t{name};\t1\t1".format(regexp=emRegexp,
name=emName))

What are your thoughts?
thanks,
Mesar