[nvda-addons] Add-on proposal: easy table navigator

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:43:45 -0800

Hi all,

I'd like to propose a new add-on called "Easy Table Navigator" to emulate
table layer commands from JAWS for Windows:

recent versions of JAWS. When table navigator layer is active, user will be
able to use just the arrow keys to move between table cells. For technical
reasons and to keep the add-on simple, this layer will only work with arrow
keys (no commands for moving to first or last column yet).

Implementation: the prototype I'm working on uses code from virtual buffers
and Microsoft Word document object to first check whether we're indeed
inside a table, and if it is, it'll let the user toggle table navigator
layer. Once this layer is active, arrow keys will call next or previous
column or row scripts from within the respective focused table object, and
when the layer is off, appropriate scripts for arrow keys will be executed
(via input core). Also, when a user moves to a control that is not a table,
table navigator will be turned off and will be enabled once focus moves back
to a table.

Due to the code in use, this add-on will require NVDA 2014.3 or later. Not
all "tables" will get table navigator flag (Outlook messages, for instance,
will not get this for consistency reasons).

Comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph