[nvda-addons] Re: Addon for Audacity

  • From: "Ricardinho Brandão" <rbg.talks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 18:48:42 -0300

Olá amigo. Quando sairá este addon e onde baixamos tal addon for audacity?

  Enviado via E63!

-- mens. original --
Assunto: [nvda-addons] Re: Addon for Audacity
De: Christopher Green <cgreen1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Data: 02/04/2014 18:29

Hello,

I previously posted this in the general nvda mailing list and it was
suggested that I also post this on the nvda-addons mailing list.

I am currently working on a project to extend accessibility for Audacity
with NVDA. I had to spend the last 8-9 weeks learning Python and
understanding how the NVDA source works and have been working on the
functions I intend to present for a school project. All three of the
functions I have been working on have been centered around how parts of
Audacity, especially those using spinner controls, are extremely difficult
for my intended user to use.

My first function involved creating a keystroke that not only obtained the
values from Selection Start, Selection End/Length, and Audio Position but
formatted the output so it was a bit easier to understand. This eliminated
the need for my friend to tab through the specific controls to figure out
these three values. The problem with that was, at least in terms of
NVDAObject, everything was in the name field and was mixed in with the
control label. For example the name field for Selection Start would
literally be "Selection Start: 00 h 04 m 25.6 s" which is annoying to hear
over and over again. My function reduces it to "Selection Start: 4 m 25.6
s".

My second function will be to allow my intended user to use the left
arrow/right arrow keys on a stopped track and be immediately alerted to the
change in the cursor position by being told "Selection Start: 4 m 25.6 s",
"Selection Start: 4 m 26.6 s", and so on so that he always knows where he
is as he's navigating the track. I am having some difficulty with this but
understand the basics of setting up an event def in Python to look for
changes. I have made a bit of progress with determining when Selection
Start is changed at the spin control but I want to make this work
for adjusting the track's cursor incrementally through the arrow keys.

My third function, the toughest out of the three, will be to give an
alternative for my intended user to set selection boundaries and not have
to contend with spin controls. My intended solution is a wx widget which
will appear after a gesture and allow him to enter the intended boundary
position in simple text fields or a text string which will be parsed. I
have an idea on how to create the widget but I'm completely lost on how to
use NVDA to send the values to Audacity.

I can't make any major changes to the program I'm using so please don't
suggest I simply use Goldwave and the add-ons that have already been made
for it. I also am locked into these three functions as this is what I have
discussed with the intended user and thus is what I will be graded on.
However I can vary these functions a bit as long as the end result is the
same.

I am looking for any suggestions, helps, thoughts, etc that anybody could
offer. I have reviewed the NVDA API documentation that somebody made
available and many of the add-ons that have already been made. While I have
some programming experience this was the first time I ever worked with
Python and the first time in better part of a decade since I did any real
programming.

- Chris Green

--
Christopher Green