[ntnm] Re: comment on newspapers and magazine "improvements"

  • From: Brian Lingard <b.lingard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ntnm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 06:25:46 -0400

Ottawa Canada

I don't know where RNIB got the idea blind people sit around listening to an
electronic version of their daily newspaper while the rest of the family reads
the ink print one.  It just isn't done as they say.

I also don't know why they took over the papers and magazines from TNAUK as
they had a nicely working system which had fewer restrictions on the retention
of papers and magazines on their web site.  Why couldn't RNIB have continued
to use the same feeds as TNAUK?

No idea why the print news agent only keeps say a monthly or quarterly
magazine on his shelf for just one week.  Here in Canada, the news vendor
keeps this month's magazines on his shelf until the next issue arrives at
which time he typically cuts off the front cover of each magazine unsold and
returns it to his supplier for a credit.  With newspapers, he cuts off the top
of page 1 bearing the Masthead and date of publication to get a credit for
this too.

The only magazines kept on sale for just one week are the weekly ones, like
MacLean's, Time, Newsweek and TV Guide, which specializes in listings of what
will be on TV.

And if RNIB wanted to tinker with various file formats for reading on a
variety of devices, they could have done a more in-depth end user survey and
done their tinkering at a later time.

Brian