[NTA] Fwd: CEACS Dean Search and Alumni Stakeholder Questions (9/14/2015)

  • From: "Ericsson, Aprille J. (GSFC-5040)" <aprille.j.ericsson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: NTA <nta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Hunet <hunet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HUAC DC <huac-dc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HU PG <hupgbison@xxxxxxxxx>, HU CEACS <hu-ceacs-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bison Engineers <bisonengineers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:49:45 +0000

From: Damian Rouson
Date: September 15, 2015 at 6:31:59 AM EDT
To: <oess@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oess@xxxxxxxxxx>>,
Cc: Bill DAMANI Keene and Carole IFE Keene
<obarton2@xxxxxxx<mailto:obarton2@xxxxxxx>>, "Dr. Oscar Barton"
<obarton@xxxxxxxx<mailto:obarton@xxxxxxxx>>, Steven Smith
<Steven.Smith@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Steven.Smith@xxxxxxxxxxx>>,
<Aprille.J.Ericsson@xxxxxxxx<mailto:Aprille.J.Ericsson@xxxxxxxx>>, Johnny
Parham <johnny.parham@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:johnny.parham@xxxxxxxxx>>, Monica Dean
<Monica.Dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Monica.Dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>, Phil Patrick
<phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Re: CEACS Dean Search and Alumni Stakeholder Questions (9/14/2015)

P.S. I further suggest that the survey be distributed via any one of several
online survey tools (e.g., www.surveymonkey.com<http://www.surveymonkey.com>)
to facilitate greater ease of participation and a more automated data
collection and analysis process than that afforded by distributing a PDF file.

On Sep 15, 2015, at 3:15 AM, Damian Rouson
<damian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:damian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Dear Sir or Madame,

I am greatly concerned that the attached letter soliciting stakeholder input on
the CEACS Dean search was dated only one week prior to the stakeholder meetings
and distributed to affiliates of the Howard University Online Community
(http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/HWD) on the date of the first
meeting, which was only four days prior to the alumni stakeholder meeting.
Given that CEACS has had a highly qualified Interim Dean for more than two
years, there would seem to have been sufficient time to allow for more advance
notice than four days.

I am further concerned that the letter makes no mention of alumni meetings
beyond the campus and offers no avenues for remote participation other than
completing the included survey. In the 21st century, I would expect that any
college that includes engineering and computer science programs would, at a
minimum, avail itself of the numerous technological avenues through which
alumni could participate in the meetings via webcast, teleconference, or any
number of related technologies. At a maximum, I would expect that regional
stakeholder meetings would be held in locations beyond the campus. Such
regional meetings might be coordinated by local alumni clubs affiliated with
the Howard University Alumni Association and offer a live link to your office
at minimal or no cost.

As a CEACS alumnus, a former national officer in the Howard University Alumni
Association, a recipient of the CEACS Alumni Network "Alumni Excellence Award,"
a former academic who still teaches at the graduate level, and the president of
and a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation dedicated to computational science
education and research, I care deeply about my alma mater and believe there
exists an alumni community that could provide tremendous value were a more
lengthy and broad effort made to solicit alumni input. Even just amongst my
friends and former classmates, I am aware of several who either are or have
been engineering faculty, staff, administrators, and researchers who could
offer a great deal of useful input for this search.

After receiving my Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering from Howard in 1989, I
returned frequently to recruit for several subsequent institutions, including
Stanford University, Exponent, Inc., and Sandia National Laboratories. Those
trips came to a sad end when I visited approximately five years ago and found
that there were zero Ph.D. students in the mechanical engineering department at
the time. My understanding is that things have rebounded some in this one
measure. I care deeply about your search concluding in the hiring of a CEACS
Dean who can steer the college toward improved health in its graduate research
and eduction programs.

I sincerely hope that your office will make a concerted effort to broaden the
opportunities for alumni participation in the search by announcing additional
dates and regional locations and by allowing for remote participation by web or
teleconference. Our alumni population spans the globe and it deserves to have
a voice in this most important of endeavors.

In Truth and Service,
________________________________
Damian Rouson, Ph.D., P.E.
President, Sourcery Institute
http://www.sourceryinstitute.org<http://www.sourceryinstitute.org/>
+1-510-600-2992 (mobile)

cc: Mr. William Damani Keene, Alumni Trustee
Dr. Charles Watkins, CEACS Alumnus and former Dean of the Engineering, City
College of New York
Dr. John Davis, CEACS Alumnus and Information Scientist and Professor, Pardee
RAND Graduate School
Dr. Makola Abdulla, CEACS Alumnus and Provost, Bethune-Cookman University
Dr. Keith Whitthingham, CEACS Alumnus and Associate Professor, Rollins College
Dr. Renetta Garrison Tull, CEACS Alumna and Associate Vice Provost, University
of Maryland, Baltimore County
Dr. Oscar Barton, CEACS Alumnus and Professor and Department Head, George Mason
University
Mr. Steven C. Smith, CEACS Alumnus and Assistant Vice President for Corporate
and Foundation Relations
Dr. April Ericsson, CEACS Alumna, former Alumni Trustee, and Program Manager,
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Mr. Johnny Parham, CEACS Alumnus and Vice President of University Relations,
Noodle Partners
Ms. Monica Dean, CEACS Alumna and Administrative Director, Baruch College
Mr. Philip Patrick, CEACS Alumnus and Executive Director, Step to STEM, Inc.
Dr. Yvette Owens, CEACS Alumna and Assistant Professor, University of Maryland
School of Medicine (email address TBD)

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Howard University, College of Engineering, Architecture, and Computer
Sciences" <howardalumni@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:howardalumni@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: September 10, 2015 at 8:38:49 AM PDT
To: " " <damian@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:damian@xxxxxxxxxx>>

[CEACS Dean Search - Stakeholder
Invitation]<http://www.alumniconnections.com/links/link.cgi?l=6718091&h=10003011&e=HWD-20150910113741>
[CEACS Dean Search - Stakeholder
Questions]<http://www.alumniconnections.com/links/link.cgi?l=6718092&h=10003011&e=HWD-20150910113741>

To download this invitation, please click
here<http://www.alumniconnections.com/links/link.cgi?l=6718093&h=10003011&e=HWD-20150910113741>.
To download the Stakeholder questions, please click
here<http://www.alumniconnections.com/links/link.cgi?l=6718094&h=10003011&e=HWD-20150910113741>.

________________________________

This message is being sent to you because of your affiliation with the Howard
University Online Community at URL http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/HWD

Removal Instructions
Please click
here<http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/HWD/cb/ExternalMain.jsp?e=optout&rr=555352&ee=damian@xxxxxxxxxx&gg=8VUJpKrwp/NSEs5zMI14275Pvsc>
to remove yourself from future mailings. Thank you.

Department of Alumni Relations
2225 Georgia Ave NW #931
Washington, DC 20059

[http://www.alumniconnections.com/images/OpenCount.cgi/HWD-20150910113741/10003011]