[NTA] FW: Why should I know about this Academic Olympics hosted across the USA: ACT-SO Enrichment Meeting, March 22, 2013, 7:00 p.m., 2002 Wheeler Avenue

  • From: "Ericsson, Aprille J. (GSFC-5050)" <aprille.j.ericsson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:50:56 -0500

From: Blackshear-Reynolds, Donna M. (JSC-LD111)
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 5:17 AM
To: Blackshear-Reynolds, Donna M. (JSC-LD111)
Subject: Why should I know about this Academic Olympics hosted across the USA:
ACT-SO Enrichment Meeting, March 22, 2013, 7:00 p.m., 2002 Wheeler Avenue

NAACP is looking for… if you or yours fit this description – great prizes from
laptops to trips...we should encourage our youth to participate in a city
Houston’s size this should be very full! Check out their newsletter! It’s a
wonderful resource that gives us comfort knowing the NAACP is there. The Friday
meetings are great – when Maria was involved I enjoyed going with her to hear
these top notch  speakers and efamily member Andrea Arceaneaux pours her heart
into it as chair over 20 years! That’s dedicaition… see below

We are looking for qualified students of African American Heritage in the
following areas:

HUMANITIES

Original Essay

Playwriting

Poetry

Music Composition

SCIENCES

Biology/Microbiology

Chemistry/Biochemistry

Computer Science

Earth and Space Sciences

Engineering

Mathematics

Medicine and Health

Physics

BUSINESS

Entrepreneurship

Culinary Arts

***Prizes are awarded to gold, silver and bronze winners***

The NAACP Houston ACT-SO is 1 of 5 cities selected to participate in the
Culinary Competition.
 The Culinary Competition will be separate from the ACT-SO Competition, but
does count as one of the 3 categories you can participate in.
 All students interested will be tutored and mentored from present until the
date of the competition.
 SODEXO and the Hyatt will provide the facilities, utensils and a completely
stocked pantry.
 Students will prepare the same dish at the local competition and the national
competition.
 The Culinary Competition will be held on a SATURDAY at the Hyatt late
April/early May
 Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals will be awarded locally and Nationally
For More Information visit www.actsohouston.org<http://www.actsohouston.org> or
call Andrea Arceneaux at 713-757-2662

Friday, March 22, 2013
7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
2002 Wheeler Avenue

ACT-SO March Madness is in full swing.  The time is getting closer to the local
competition and the committee is working to have everything prepared for you on
April 20th  at the Hyatt Regency Hotel for all of the competition areas with
the exception of Culinary which is on April 27th.  All competitions start at
9:00 a.m.

On Friday, we have two guest speakers who are listed on the attachment.  You
will have an opportunity to ask any questions about the competition during the
general session.   I have also attached a flyer for an art competition that may
be of interest to some of you or you may know other students who would be
interested in participating in an art competition.

The ACT-SO gala preparations are also in full swing.  It will be held on
Sunday, May 26th at the Hyatt Regency in the grand ballroom.  Tickets are
available and will be distributed on a PRE-SALE basis this year  $50.00 for
adults and $25.00 for students (grades 1 through 12 ).  Start soliciting your
family and friends and encourage them to attend this activity where the medal
winners will be announced and a spectacular entertainment  production will be
performed by the ACT-SO participants .

We are still waiting for many of you to complete the application and submit it
for inclusion in this year's competition.  Access the website,
www.actsohoutson.org<http://www.actsohoutson.org/> to register and complete
your application.

If you have any questions you may contact me via e-mail or by phone:
832-423-4502.

See you Friday!

Sandra Roseborough