[NTA] FW: Register Now! Women in Engineering DREAM Conference 2014, U of MD College Park - Saturday, March 1, 2014

  • From: "Ericsson, Aprille J. (GSFC-5000)" <aprille.j.ericsson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:12:43 +0000

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2014 1:36 PM
Subject: FW: Register Now! Women in Engineering DREAM Conference 2014, U of MD
College Park - Saturday, March 1, 2014

Please distribute to high school students interested in engineering.  This
event is for both young men and women.

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN for Students, Adults and Volunteers for the 6th Annual
Women in Engineering (WIE) DREAM Conference

The first 500 students who register and attend will receive complimentary
conference bags with giveaways, and the high school that is most highly
represented will be honored with a plaque of outstanding participation!

WHO:  All high school students (grade 9 or higher - no exceptions),
particularly girls. Parents, teachers and community members are invited to
attend or volunteer, but MUST REGISTER. Each student may be accompanied by one
(1) adult chaperone. We also encourage community college students with an
interest in the A. James Clark School of Engineering to join us.

WHAT:  Through interactive workshops, discussions and demonstrations,
participants will be immersed in an exciting learning environment with the goal
of igniting interest in engineering. The Clark School departments and student
organizations like the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) along with our sponsors
will participate in an information fair for attendees to enjoy at the end of
the day.

WHEN:  Saturday, March 1, 2014 from 9:00 AM - 2:30 PM

WHERE:  Adele H. Stamp Student Union, University of Maryland, College Park

WHY:  The Women in Engineering Program was founded in 1995 to support women
engineering students at the University of Maryland. Our mission is to recruit,
retain and advance women in engineering through a variety of initiatives.
Gender diversity in the field of engineering continues to draw national
attention. Since 1996, the United States has seen a decreasing number of women
enrolling as first-year students in engineering. In the Clark School, we are
working hard to reverse that trend. We jumped from a class of 16.5 percent
women in 2005 to 29.4 percent this fall! Programs like the WIE DREAM Conference
help by showing students that engineering is not only an exciting career, but
also one that is critical to improving people's lives and the world around us.

The conference is FREE and includes lunch for students. Plus, students that
attend the event and subsequently the Clark School at the University of
Maryland will be eligible to apply for DREAM scholarships valued at up to
$2,500!

For more information and to REGISTER, please visit
http://www.wie.umd.edu/k12/dream-conference
<http://www.wie.umd.edu/k12/dream-conference> .

We hope to see you at the conference on March 1st!

Bria Barry (formerly McElroy)
Assistant Director, Women in Engineering Program
A. James Clark School of Engineering

University of Maryland
1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall
College Park, MD 20742