[NTA] FW: NASA ANNOUNCES DESIGN FOR NEW DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION SYSTEM

  • From: "Ericsson, Aprille J. (GSFC-5050)" <aprille.j.ericsson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:05:13 -0500

From: Administrator Charles Bolden
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:47 AM
Subject: NASA ANNOUNCES DESIGN FOR NEW DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION SYSTEM

Administrator Charlie Bolden

[cid:image002.jpg@01CC72BC.30C6BA10]

NASA ANNOUNCES DESIGN FOR NEW DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION SYSTEM

New Heavy-lift Rocket Will Take Humans Far Beyond Earth

Today is a big day at NASA.

The next chapter of America's space exploration story is being written, right
here, right now.

We've selected the design for a new space exploration system that will take
humans far beyond Earth. This important decision will create high-quality jobs
here at home and provide the cornerstone for America's future human space
exploration efforts.

This new heavy-lift rocket will be America's most powerful since the Saturn V
rocket that carried Apollo astronauts to the moon and will launch humans to
places no one has gone before, such as asteroids, Mars and other deep space
destinations.

In combination with the crew capsule already under development, increased
support for the commercialization of astronaut travel to low Earth orbit, an
extension of activities on the International Space Station until at least 2020,
and a fresh focus on new technologies- this rocket is key to implementing the
plan laid out by President Obama and Congress in the bipartisan 2010 NASA
Authorization Act, which the President signed last year.

President Obama challenged us to be bold and dream big, and that's exactly what
we are doing at NASA with this new space exploration system. While I was proud
to fly on the space shuttle, tomorrow's explorers will now dream of one day
walking on Mars.

This launch vehicle decision is the culmination of a months-long, comprehensive
review of potential designs to ensure that the nation gets the best possible
rocket for the investment-one that is not only powerful but is also evolvable
so it can be adapted to different missions as opportunities arise and new
technologies are developed.

The rocket will use a liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen fuel system, where
RS-25D/E engines will provide the core propulsion and the J2X engine is planned
for use in the upper stage. There will be a full and open competition to
develop the boosters based on performance requirements. Its early flights will
be capable of lifting 70-100 metric tons before evolving to a lift capacity of
130 metric tons.

The early developmental flights may take advantage of existing solid boosters
and other existing hardware, which will help us control costs and make early
tests smoother.

The selection of the vehicle needed to transport our astronauts beyond low
Earth orbit is one of the most important decisions NASA will make this decade,
and it requires a major commitment on the part of the American people. That's
why we took the time to get it right.

The hard work and expertise of you in the NASA Family have brought us to this
point and will be critical as we continue to do the big things only NASA can do
and challenge ourselves as a people to reach our highest potential. The future
is bright for exploration, and we can be proud of the major step forward we are
taking today.

Charlie B.

Administrator Bolden's Statement About NASA's New Heavy-lift Rocket

[cid:image005.jpg@01CC72C1.0256A870]<http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=111392751>

To hear Administrator Bolden's comments, click on the image above or go to:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=111392751

[cid:image006.jpg@01CC72BC.30C6BA10]
www.nasa.gov<http://www.nasa.gov>

JPEG image