[NTA] FW: ATTENTION SEEK FAMILIES: FREE STEM EVENT DEC 9-15

  • From: "Ericsson, Aprille J. (GSFC-5000)" <aprille.j.ericsson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 19:23:15 +0000

FYI

----- Forwarded message -----
From: "NSBE SEEK" <seek@xxxxxxxx<mailto:seek@xxxxxxxx>>
To: <undisclosed-recipients:>
Subject: ATTENTION SEEK FAMILIES: FREE STEM EVENT DEC 9-15
Date: Fri, Dec 6, 2013 12:33 PM

Greetings,

We hope your holiday season has been happy. We have been forwarded this
opportunity for an exciting FREE STEM event by one of our NSBE Professionals.
See details below.

Hello!

I have a very important event to bring to your attention.

Next week, Dec 9-15, is Computer Science Education Week
http://csedweek.org<http://csedweek.org/>, I strongly encourage you, your
family, and your friends to register (it is free) and participate in “The Hour
of Code” happening at different times and places in cities across the USA next
week. Click here http://code.org/learn/local to find a participating site near
you. Also, contact your relatives and friends to organize and ensure all
youngsters within your reach get to participate.

Just as it has since the Industrial Revolution 200 years ago, technology
continues to advance, changing many of the activities we (humans) do to earn a
living. Now, in the 21st nearly every one of us interacts with electronic
devices or equipment on a daily basis. In future years, taxis, buses, and
trucks may become driverless, small drones may pickup and deliver packages
door-to-door. The employment landscape will continue to change. The goal of
this event is for EVERY young (or un-employed or under-employed) person in the
United States, whether in school or not, to receive at least 1 hour of
instruction in Computer Science.

Since the economic downturn in 2008-2009, corporations have resumed thriving,
but with fewer employees. Many job openings which are available often require
web-based skills, or mobile app programming thanks to efficiencies brought by
advances in the Internet, and mobile
devices. For these reasons, it is important that Computer Science becomes a
foundation for every student, like reading, writing, and math. Learning ABOUT
programming is a good start.

Learning TO program is a great start. Get started here: http://code.org/learn .

Engineers and designers at Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Twitter have put a
wide range of activities together online: http://code.org . Some activities can
be done without a computer.

In summary, the advance and impact of technology is widespread. Take the plunge
and “Get with the Program J,” like Chris Bosh and will.i.am<http://will.i.am/>
. After completing your first “Hour of Code”, continue to improve your know-how
here: http://code.org/learn/beyond .

Please share this email alert today with others you know.

Sincerely yours,

Michael D. Alston, PhD, MBA

Member, San Diego Professionals

National Society of Black Engineers

SEEK Team
Summer Engineering Experience for Kids

National Society of Black Engineers
205 Daingerfield Rd
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
703.549.2207 ext. 394
703.683.5312 - Fax
seek@xxxxxxxx<mailto:seek@xxxxxxxx>
www.nsbe.org<http://webmail.nsbe.org/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

[https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif]

SEEK Mission: “To increase elementary school students’ aptitude in math and
science and their interest in pursuing STEM (science, technology, engineering,
math) career fields, by having them engage in interactive, team-based
engineering projects.”

NSBE Mission: "To increase the number of culturally responsible black engineers
who excel academically, succeed professionally, and positively impact the
community."

P Think Green!  Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary.