[northern-trail-roundtable] Northern Trail Roundtable Reminder

  • From: get-in-ctrl@xxxxxxxx
  • To: northern-trail-roundtable@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 23:44:53 -0600

NORTHERN TRAIL DISTRICT ROUNDTABLE INFORMATION

The following is information regarding the Northern Trail District's
monthly Roundtable meetings.

To make it easier for you to find the information you need, each item is
in it's own section, and THE MAIN POINT OF EACH SECTION IS IN CAPITALIZED
BOLDFACE.

__________________

ROUNDTABLE MEETINGS ARE OPEN TO ALL REGISTERED LEADERS AND OTHER
INTERESTED ADULTS.

Roundtable is the second Thursday of the month, at 7:30pm.

Just remember the "Double-STAR":   Second Thursday At Roundtable   --
Seven Thirty At Roundtable

Roundtable meetings are held at the Technology Center of DuPage [TCD],
301 Swift Road, Addison.  [Swift Road is one block West of 355.  The TCD
is about 1/2 mile South of Army Trail Road.]  Park on the North side of
the building.  The door we use is about in the middle of the North side.
Go in the door and straight down the hall until it opens up into a
"sunken" meeting room... or just follow the people in the tan shirts :-).

If our Roundtable time or location ever changes, we'll make sure to state
it very clearly in these notices, so you'll always know when and where.

__________________

OUR NEXT NORTHERN TRAIL DISTRICT ROUNDTABLE WILL BE ON THURSDAY, JANUARY
13, AT 7:30PM.

The Presentation will be Youth Protection Training.  By attending this
presentation, you'll have completed your Youth Protection Training.

This training is for both Cub and Boy Scout Leaders.  Remember that THIS
IS NOW REQUIRED FOR ALL REGISTERED LEADERS.   It's also NOW REQUIRED
BEFORE NEW LEADERS CAN REGISTER, so if your Unit has new Scouts
Crossing-Over or joining, make sure you get their parents trained, or
they won't be able to register.

NOTE:  THIS IS A CHANGE OF SCHEDULE FROM PREVIOUS YEARS.  Due to the new
BSA requirement, that all Registered Leaders must be current in their
Youth Protection Training before they can Re-Charter, the District
Committee has decided to move the Youth Protection Training to the
January Roundtable, so that it falls just before Re-Charter, rather than
just after it.  This should be a permanent change to the schedule, so
Youth Protection Training will be done at the January Roundtable every
year from now on.

So that adults don't have to worry about what to do with their Scouts
during the training, for this meeting, WE'RE ASKING FOR UNIT
COMMISSIONERS to do the opening Flag Ceremony.  We need a minimum of
three, so hopefully there'll be at least that many there :-).

__________________

THE FEBRUARY 10 ROUNDTABLE will be an actual roundtable discussion on
"The Places We've Been".

Since Packs and Troops tend to go different places and do different
things, after the general announcements, we'll split into separate groups
for Cub Scout and Boy Scout Leaders for this one.

The Cub Scout Leaders will start with some information for their Pack
Camp Coordinators and other Leaders, and then, as time permits, have
their discussion group.

The Boy Scout Leaders will just do the discussion group.

WE'RE ASKING ALL LEADERS, BOTH CUB SCOUT AND BOY SCOUT, TO PLEASE BRING A
BIT OF INFORMATION on one or more of your Unit's favorite places to go.
This could be a really great campground, or one with some cool stuff
nearby; it could be a fun or interesting hiking trail; or it could be a
really great day trip to a museum, forest preserve, or similar.  You'll
get a chance to share your discoveries, and hopefully, you'll also get
some new ideas that you can take back to your Unit to consider for future
events.

__________________

THE MARCH 10 ROUNDTABLE will be Safe Swim Training and Safety Afloat
Training.

This training is for both Cub and Boy Scout Leaders.  This is required
for all Leaders who want to take their Scouts into or onto the water, and
it's a good idea for everyone [there's no such thing as "too much
training" in Scouts :-) ].

So that adults don't have to worry about what to do with their Scouts
during the training, for this meeting, WE'RE ASKING FOR DISTRICT
COMMITTEE MEMBERS [other than Unit Commissioners... they did it in
January] to do the opening Flag Ceremony.  We need a minimum of three, so
hopefully there'll be at least that many there :-).

__________________

THE APRIL 14 ROUNDTABLE program will, hopefully, be a "SUPER ROUNDTABLE"
[provided I can find enough businesses and such that are interested in
participating :-) .]  This is a sort of "mini-expo", where those who have
products and/or programs of a scouting nature are given the opportunity
to display such, and Leaders are given the opportunity to talk to them
and learn of things their Units might be interested in.

__________________

THE MAY 12 ROUNDTABLE program is yet to be determined.

__________________

THE JUNE 9 ROUNDTABLE will be our annual District Dinner, so there won't
be a regular Roundtable that month.  You'll receive more information on
this, both from this e-mail list, and probably directly from District,
when this gets closer.

__________________

JULY IS OUR ONE MONTH OFF A YEAR... at least from Roundtable :-).

__________________

THE RECHARTER BIRTHDAY PARTY is Saturday, January 15, from 9:30am to
2:00pm.  You don't have to be there the whole time, just until you get
your Unit's Recharter done :-).  It will be held at Sunrise Chevrolet,
414 North Avenue in Glendale Heights.  Bring your Recharter forms,
checks, &etc. and the Recharter Staff will help you make sure that
everything's correct.  ALL UNITS MUST RECHARTER so don't miss this event.

Please give a friendly "hello" to the salesmen in the showroom as you
pass... we promise they won't try to sell you a car unless you ask them
to :-).

__________________

If there are any Leaders in your Unit, or any other interested adults who
aren't getting this Roundtable Reminder, please have them sign up for it,
or have someone on your Unit Committee sign up everyone in your Unit.
OUR GOAL IS TO GET 100% OF OUR REGISTERED LEADERS ON THIS E-MAIL LIST, SO
THAT EVERYONE GETS NOTIFIED EACH MONTH.  Whether they ever choose to
attend a Roundtable is another matter, but everyone should  want to know
about it.

TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NORTHERN TRAIL DISTRICT E-MAIL LIST:

--- Send an e-mail to northern-trail-roundtable-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "subscribe" in the Subject field, OR
--- Visit our List Page at
www.freelists.org/list/northern-trail-roundtable , OR
--- Visit our e-Mailing List Web Page at
www.freelists.org/webpage/northern-trail-roundtable , OR
--- Send your e-mail address, or a list of e-mail addresses for everyone
in your Unit, to boyscoutrtc@xxxxxxxxx .  (You don't need to include
people's names, only the mailing addresses get entered in the mailing
list.)

This e-Mail list is a private, announce-only list.  Other members will
not have access to your e-mail address, nor will they be allowed to post
messages to this list.  It's strictly for announcements from Roundtable
Staff, regarding Roundtable meetings and information.

To Unsubscribe an e-mail address from this e-Mail List, please send an
e-mail to northern-trail-roundtable-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
"unsubscribe" in the Subject field.

__________________

SEEKING UNITS FOR OPENING FLAG CEREMONY AT ROUNDTABLES

We've been inviting various Units [Packs, Troops, Crews] to participate
in the opening Flag Ceremony at each month's Roundtable meeting.  I've
passed around a sheet at Roundtable, and I'll be passing that sheet
around again, as needed, but I'm also making the request here.

If your Unit might be interested in participating in the opening Flag
Ceremony, please let me know.  Send your Unit Type & Number, and
someone's Contact Information to  boyscoutrtc@xxxxxxxxx .  There's no
obligation... you're not signing up now, just expressing an interest :-)
.  I'll send an invitation e-mail, for a specific month's Roundtable, to
your contact person, asking them to contact your Unit and let me know if
they're interested and available.

__________________

SCOUTMASTER MINUTES AT ROUNDTABLE --- A GREAT WAY TO END A MEETING.

Many Boy Scout meetings, and even some Cub Scout meetings, end with a
"Scoutmaster Minute."  This is a short [note the word: "minute"] piece.
It may be inspirational, it may be informational, it may be humorous, but
it should always make one think.

Whenever possible, we'll be ending our Roundtables with such a
Scoutmaster Minute.  I have a small collection of about sixty of these,
that I've found on various Web sites, so that should last us for a few
years.

Under the category of "audience participation," at each Roundtable, I'm
going to draft a Leader, from those in attendance, to read a Scoutmaster
Minute [I'll also take volunteers :-) ].  I'm not going to force anyone
to do it [so it's kind of a draft with a right of refusal :-) ], but I'm
sure I can find someone each month who'll be willing and able to read a
couple of paragraphs.

I'll hopefully remember to find someone before the meeting actually
starts each month.  If I ask you, and you accept, I'll give you my
collection of Minutes at the beginning of Roundtable, and you can look
through it and pick one to read at the end.  Or, if you're a volunteer,
you're welcome to bring in your own favorite Minute [just remember it's
only a "minute", no long speeches :-) ].

__________________

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS  --- SEEKING YOUR INPUT AND HELP TO MAKE
ROUNDTABLES BETTER.

Seeking INPUT:   If you have an idea for a program for Roundtable,
something you'd really like to see us do, please contact me at
boyscoutrtc@xxxxxxxxx .  Due to a limited number of Roundtables each
year, I can't guarantee all ideas will be used, but they will all be
given serious consideration.

Seeking HELP:   If you, or anyone you know, has a hobby,  an interest, or
some knowledge of a "Scout-type nature", that you think might be of
interest to other Leaders, please let me know.  I can put together lots
of different Roundtable presentations, but I'll be the first to admit
that I don't know everything about everything :-).  However, the one
thing I do know for sure is that there are many others out there who
could do some great presentations, or even just help to put something
together, but I won't know who those "others" are unless someone tells
me.  I'm not necessarily looking for experts, just anyone who has some
knowledge to share.

Anyone who helps out, in either of the two ways above, will get a "Penny
For Your Thoughts" Roundtable Bead to add to their Roundtable Attendance
Beads.

For those who may not know, each month you attend a Roundtable, you get
an Attendance Bead to add to your string.  [Why should the Scouts be the
only ones who get "brag-stuff" :-) ? ]

__________________

PROMOTE YOUR UNIT'S ACTIVITIES --- AND HELP SUPPORT OTHER UNITS BY
ATTENDING AND PROMOTING THEIRS.

If your Unit is holding a fundraiser [spaghetti dinner, pancake
breakfast, car wash, &etc.] or an event that Scouts or others from
outside your Unit might be interested in attending, we'd like to hear
about it.

Any and all Units may place fliers for their Unit's fundraisers and
events in the Roundtable Bins.  Just create your flier, with all of the
necessary information [see below], and put them in the bins at the
beginning of any Roundtable.  It's probably a good idea to come a bit
early, to make sure you get your flyers in the bins before everyone
starts taking their stuff out :-).  There are currently about seventy
folders in the bins, so you'll need that many fliers.

Things to include in your flier [seems obvious, but I've see fliers that
were missing important information :-( ]:

WHO - Unit Type, Unit Number, Contact Information [e.g. Troop 33-1/3
555-5555   contactme @ mye-mail.com .]
WHAT - Description of the fundraiser or event, including cost.
WHERE - Location of the fundraiser or event.  [Include driving and/or
parking instructions if necessary.]
WHEN -  Date and Time of the fundraiser or event.
WHY - If the fundraiser or event is for a specific purpose [e.g. a
fundraiser for a trip or new equipment; an event for a specific group],
include that.  It might encourage others to attend.

__________________

FIND A HOME FOR YOUR UNIT'S "EXPERIENCED BUT UNWANTED" EQUIPMENT  --- AND
HELP OTHER UNITS GET THE STUFF THEY NEED.

Does your Unit have equipment that you don't use anymore, but that's
still in usable condition?  Would you like to get it out of your storage
space?  Are you looking to sell it [good], trade it [better], or just
give it away [best]?  Don't just leave it to the dust and the rust.
There may be other Units that could really use it.

If your Unit has upgraded, or moved on to newer equipment, and your old
equipment is just taking up space, let us know.  There may be a Unit
that's struggling to get the stuff they need, and would love to have the
stuff you don't.  As long as it's still usable, there's nothing too big
or too small... if your Unit used it, there's probably another one that
could as well.

You can make up a flier, and put a copy in the Roundtable Bins.   There
are currently about seventy folders in the bins, so you'll need that many
fliers, or send me an e-mail at boyscoutrtc@xxxxxxxxx , and I'll print
out a display sheet for the sign-in table.  Make sure to include your
Unit number, and someone's contact information.

NOTE:  This is meant for Unit-owned items only, not for individuals
trying to sell their personal equipment.  Privately owned items, of a
Scouting nature, may be included only if those items are being given
away.  Any sale or trade items must be Unit-owned.

__________________

"EXPERIENCED" UNIFORMS --- THOSE THAT HAVE HELPED AT LEAST ONE SCOUT
ALONG HIS SCOUTING TRAIL, AND ARE NOW READY TO HELP ANOTHER.

The District maintains a small collection of "experienced" [gently used]
uniforms, that were donated by various Scouts and Scouters.  These are
available, free of charge, to anyone who might need them.  I normally
bring them to every Roundtable.  If you don't see them, just ask, they
might be out it my car :-).

If you have any unneeded uniforms, and your Unit doesn't maintain it's
own uniform bank, please bring them to any Roundtable meeting to help
replenish our supply.

__________________

If anyone has any questions or comments regarding Roundtable, please
contact me at boyscoutrtc@xxxxxxxxx .  I want to get as much information
about Roundtable as I can, out to as many people as I can, so that we can
make this a better Roundtable for everyone in our Northern Trail
District.  THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP AT ROUNDTABLES.

__________________

Yours in Scouting,

Rick Franzen
Northern Trail District
Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner

P.  S.  Sorry about the ad, if any, below, my ISP tacks that on to
e-mails.  I can't do anything about it, so please ignore it.

Browse the web faster. Download Chrome
Browse the web as fast as you think. Give Google Chrome a try
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d27fde88ef29be7ecm06vuc