[noCensorship] new proxyTools release

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 19 Nov 2002 02:48:58 -0000

Hi,

FYI, this is a copy of a message I posted recently to
proxytools-users@xxxxxx (subscribe at the site in my sig below).

< reposted message >
In a week or two, I want to release a new proxyTools package.
To reduce bugs to a minimum in that release, please test
as much as you can soon, and send reports here. I'm specially
interested in Win98/ME reports, but anything is good.
Not just bug reports either - usability, suggestions, documentation
problems etc ... all welcome.

To tickle your fancy (maybe convince you to be a beta tester!),
I include a pre-release version of the release notes for the new
package below. Pick an area that you want to use, and try it.
Put these new files in a completely different directory if you want
to keep your existing (working) version until you're sure the new
stuff works for you.

Please let me know if there are many people who would test, but aren't
able to get these CVS files. If there's more than a couple of people,
I will make a pre-release (zip) package available somewhere.

Release notes 2002.11.18 (draft version)

1) StatProxy
  a) very fast connection test (-t d) which tests a list of
     proxies in parallel. Result is 'p', or 'f' according to
     whether they were able to be connected to, or not. On Win2k,
     I found I could test 124 proxies per timeout (20 secs for
     reliability). On Unix systems this number is much higher,
     depending on process limitations etc.
  b) ctrl-c allows the user to see the results so far,
     double-ctrl-c aborts (after printing results so far).
     Don't panic, it always waits for the current proxy test to
     complete. Try ctrl-break (Windows) if you *really* want out.
  c) large lists may be tested on Windows, without the usual
     network failures. SP dynamically adjusts the number of sockets
     in use to accomodate these strange systems.
  d) improved processing of the input data (extraction of proxy-like
     strings, validation, IP address resolution, deduping, 'safeing',
     expansion of ports if none specified, etc).
  e) the '-C <CONNECTProxy>' option allows all the tests to be
     conducted via a CONNECT proxy. Choose an anonymous one if
     you are doing this for anonymity.
  f) the comment field at the end of the result line for each proxy
     now includes the proxy type (where the proxy tells us) and the
     proxy which actually fetches web pages for the proxy under test
     (if we're testing a proxy which is a 'front-end' to a proxy
     array, like in the UAE).
  g) debug level specified from the command line ('-x <n>')
  h) SP will now test a list of proxies from a URL (it's recognition
     of the many different formats is not as good as findProxy's yet).
  i) transparent proxies can be tested.
  j) extra test 19 tests whether the proxies under test are
     vulnerable to addition of '//' in the URL path of a web page
     requested (i.e. they fail to censor such paths).

2) LocalProxy
  a) commStrat 2(g) is enabled by default now. This is essentially
     a strategy using CGI proxies to get web pages. The CGI proxy
     used is user-specifiable (see cgiAmbles.txt). The distributed
     file uses the AltaVista Babelfish translator (unfortunately a
     better one at Google was blocked shortly after the last release).
  b) the initial 'on-line' test of all the proxies used in the build
     is done using parallel socket code, so it's much faster now.
  c) many improvements in commStrat 2. By definition this will
     always remain unreliable though (but fast). Turn it off
     (checkbox in the GUI) if you see problems with a particular
     web site.
  d) localProxy GUI downloads the latest proxy database
     from the SourceForge CVS system (advanced window, 'update
     proxies' button). Restart the back end to use the new proxy database
     in a build.
  e) the GUI automatically detects your firewall/ISP if that info is
     in it's database. In these cases (UAE, KSA etc.), starting LP is
     as simple as double-click localProxy.pl, and click 'Start
     services'.
  f) proxies are automatically collected from the registry (Windows
     systems), the environment, the user's configuration file, and
     the firewalls database.
  g) cleaned up some signal-handling code, and now the exit from
     the localProxy back-end is faster, and less prone to errors.
  h) 'Help' is available from the initial simple window now.

3) MergeHosts
  a) handles the extra info from SP.
  b) disallows merge to databse for any proxy on port 80 when the
     test location is knoiwn to have a transparent proxy (you
     tested the transparent proxy rather than the one you thought
     you tested!).

4) Many fixes, code cleanups and small additions in the other tools.

Get the latest release from:
http://<CVS only at the moment>

First time Windows users:
a) Install ActivePerl from http://www.activestate.com/
b) Extract the proxyTools release files to a directory.
c) double-click localProxy.pl
d) wait for modules to download and install
e) if your release is old (say, over a month), go to the advanced
   window and click 'update proxies' to get a fresh list of
   proxies.
f) if your configuration isn't already selected, select one
g) click 'Start services'
h) wait for the build to complete (next time, select the 'last'
   configuration to speed this up considerably)
i) configure your web browser proxy to 'localhost', port 10080
j) for Usenet News, create an account with news server at
   'localhost', port 10119

See the Help documentation by clicking the 'Help' button

As usual, bug reports (preferably with a debug level 3 log copied
from the back-end window) are welcome. Send to proxytools-users@xxxxxxx
Subscribe to that list from the SourceForge site (see my sig below).

Have fun. :-)

--
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/