[noCensorship] java applet proxy behaviour (was: Re: Re: Localproxy related questions)

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 31 May 2005 21:26:23 -0000

david gu wrote:
> I have a java applet that basically simulates an HTTP request, but it does =
> not do it in a "proxy-aware" fashion. It establishes a socket to xxx.xxx.co=
> m:80 directly (when it should open the socket to the proxy server and tell =
> the proxy server that it wants xxx.xxx.com:80).

This happens a lot...

I've been successful telling the developers about that problem, and insisting
that their applets should honor the user's proxy settings. In general they
agree and then fix it. It's just that most developers don't use proxies, so it
gets forgotten in the development stage.
After all, they want the applet to work for the maximum number of people.

> This applet is faling to =
> connect to our server from Argentina, who's isps require the use of a =
> non-transparent proxy.

Is that your comment, or an error message?
If it's your comment, what made you say anything about a transparent proxy?
If it's an error message from your applet, I don't understand how it can be
proxy-aware in an error message, but not proxy-aware in it's execution. :-)

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to how I =
> can get this to work....

The best way is to get it fixed.

If it's in a web page, you've got almost no chance.
I've had very little success trying to 'socksify' them (you need to socksify
the whole browser; it's not enough to use a socks proxy because they just
ignore your proxy settings), or fool them with clever dns resolutions in hosts.

If it's not in a web page, maybe socksifying will help. I have never been that
lucky.

wayne

===8>============== noCensorship community ===============
List's webpage: //www.freelists.org/webpage/nocensorship