[noCensorship] Re: KSA proxies

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 9 Nov 2002 15:15:54 -0000

> From: "aasa37" <aasa37@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "wayne" <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [noCensorship] Re: KSA proxies

> > I would like to resolve this funny situation where you say the
> > telnet test to port 7021 passes, but all the 7021 proxies (which
> > *are* alive and working) time out (and statProxy indicated this
> > too).
> >
> > telnet login.icq.com 7021
> >
> > 1) Did you get some garbage characters back when you did the test?
>
> Yes i did .

Oh well, that kills the easy answer :-(

> Also   DNS  64.83.129.10  ----> No address record(s) available for
> 64.83.129.10 , the same for 11 ,12 .
>
> But it dose return ping :
> PING 64.83.129.10 : 64 bytes
> 64 bytes from 64.83.129.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=461 ms
> 64 bytes from 64.83.129.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=440 ms
> 64 bytes from 64.83.129.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=481 ms

Sure, they are alive and working.

> I did findProxy.pl  from my shell (panix) on  64.83.129.10  , 64.83.129.11 ,
> 64.83.129.12  on port 7021 and it reported that all 3 is not working !!! ,
> its strange that its working from your side of the net :-)

That's (at least) because they are censoring proxies. The normal
command to invoke findProxy would report them as not working for
that reason.

StatProxy from Panix should have shown that they are working.
Not timing out, getting web pages, and CONNECTing.
They are not particularly useful (censoring, CONNECT only to 443
and 110(!)). The fact that from the KSA, you can telnet elsewhere
on that port (proving it's open), yet SP sees these timing out
intrigues me.
I'm back to assuming a firewall at the proxy end that has specific
rules for KSA. StatProxy shows them working even from the UAE:

$ ./statProxy.pl -t 0 64.83.129.12:7021
Extracting proxy strings, expanding/skipping ports, validating, resolving,
deduping...
1 proxies to test (after processing)
Running test: 0 64.83.129.12:7021

statProxy v4.121 report from UAE:
64.83.129.12    :7021  P                    1.8/2.8
Reference page size was 14604 bytes

Notice they send an extra 282 bytes for the ref page. Dunno what
that is. A lot of headers, or maybe code for a banner.

> > Do any other people there get them
> come on guys , help is needed here .wake Up and participate :-)

Asking doesn't seem to work. People do this when they have a
confluence of needs that all seem to point to a need for this info.
Then they test, and don't post the results anywhere. Maybe thinking
it's so easy to do that their results aren't useful, but they forget
they are in a unique position, behind a unique firewall, using unique
proxies. Put all that together and you get no results for use by
those who can't do testing.

> > 2) Are you using a personal firewall? I've seen one of them
> > (Symantec) report a successful connection at connect time, but
> > then fail to deliver the data because the ISP blocked the (delayed)
> > connection. That firewall is broken, IMHO.
>
> No , i don't use personal firewall , i use ads blocking but its disabled
> during those tests .
>
> > It would be ideal if someone from each ISP would run statProxy to
> > get those bits of information, and post results here.
> > Just something like:
> > perl statProxy.pl -t all:-18 proxy.isp.sa:8080
> > or whatever the proxy string and port your ISP has given you.
>
> I hope everybody will do this to update the database of localProxy ....

Me too!

> statProxy v4.95 report from "my ip":
> 212.93.193.89   :8080  PFFFFFPPPPPPPFFPFP              "(awalnet)"

Thanks, it's updated now. Note you can CONNECT to outside proxies
with this. LP should work (as would HTTPort)

Try this to get them all though (should be 6 of them):
perl statProxy.pl -t all:-18 proxy.awalnet.net.sa:8080

--
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/

===8>============== noCensorship community ===============