[nnasnet] hurricane birds

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:53:24 -0400

All,

There is an interesting article on the main eBird site that discusses in
detail what birds might be seen as a result of the current storm. h
ttp://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/hurricane-sandy<http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/hurricane-sandy>
Those of us who can find time after the storm has passed to get out and
bird may come across some animals that rarely come this way. It could take
several days for birds pushed or pulled inland by this storm to make their
way back out to sea, so there may be opportunities well into the coming
weekend to look for storm birds. I'd especially recommend places along the
rivers and the Bay shore. The observation deck at Dameron Marsh could be
especially productive once the tide recedes enough to get out there
(Dameron is currently under at least a foot of water on the trails), and
Windmill Point and Smith Point would be worth watching for a while.

The fields near our house are flooded, of course, and were full of laughing
gulls this morning. A flock of nearly 20 killdeer were out there yesterday
before dark. A northern lapwing was seen in Labrador this week, so
conditions could be setting up to give us a shot at some of the rarer shore
birds as a result of all of this rain.

In the yard we have the usual late October glut of myrtle warblers, plus
some golden-crowned kinglets, a phoebe, and the first white-throated
sparrows of our fall.

Finally, there appear to be more brown pelicans on the Rappahannock and
nearby sections of the Bay than I am used to seeing. There were ~40
roosting on the dock at Willaby's restaurant Saturday morning and an
acquaintance who likes to fish tells me that there were "a thousand"
pelicans last week on and around the barge that is moored near Mosquito
Point. Even allowing for the customary exaggerations of a fisherman, that
sounds like a ton of pelicans to me.

Stay safe and dry and keep your eyes open.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck