[nnasnet] Re: More on cormorants

  • From: Margaret Gerdts <maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 23:44:09 -0400

At the mouth of Robinson's Creek, just upriver from Urbanna, there are pilings
left over from the old steamboat wharf and the Lord Mott Cannery.....and there
are always a large number of cormorants sitting on the pilings....along with a
number of gulls.  Usually there are a few that are airing out their wings.These
pilings are on the south side of the Rappahannock.Maggie Gerdts

Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 09:20:33 -0400
Subject: [nnasnet] Cormorant 'mystery' responses
From: tomteeples@xxxxxxxxx
To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions of solutions of the cormorant
mystery.  Here are some of the responses:***************************************

the wind is less near the shorethey are a gregarious colonial species and like
to congregate
they nest in trees and on cliffs, so maybe the high bank and trees is more
attractive than the low, treeless environment on the other end

closer to their favorite smell - the Omega
factory!*****************************************Aren't they fish eaters? Maybe
close to that shore is the best place for fishing?

Neither the statistician, nor the physicist will solve this one. It will most
likely take the observation of a waterman: Oyster rocks are usually on the
north side of a river which draws more fish…

Felicity’s (husband!) in Gloucester

********************************
I'm glad a big semi hasn't been coming in the opposite direction when you are
"observing"! Perhaps wind currents are less nearer the north shore because of
land mass? The bluffs on the north shore are higher than the south shore. They
also sit on the abandoned dock on the north side by the restaurant... Or just
as simple as the fish congregate more on the shoals on the north side of the
river. When I see boats out fishing, they seem to be on the north side of the
river more than the other side...??? not being a physicist - just some guesses.
Beth

Tom, here.  Back again.  And there were a few other remarks, as well.
Since I first asked the question, and my brain has been jogged by these
supporters, I drove over the Rappahannock again, yesterday, Friday, the 5th.
The cormorants were in their usual spot.  But your comments made me a better
observer.  Now I notice that there is a pound net on the North side of the
river and nonesuch on the South side.  Felicity's suggestion of consulting a
waterman echos here.  Did the pound net owner already know that the North side
was the best place for fish?
The cormorants know that with a pound net nearby, this is the best place for
fish.  We will declare the mystery solved!!!!!
********The cormorants congregate where the food supply is

Addendum:  As one of the administrators of the hotline (Tom Saunders is the
other), I sometimes wonder if anyone ever looks at the posts.  Your reaction to
solving the mystery has restored my faith in the NNAS Hotline readership.
Thanks, everyone......Tom

--
Tom Teeples132 Lancaster Dr. #105
Irvington, VA  22480