[nnasnet] Fwd: Mail System Error - Returned Mail

  • From: Felicity Rask <jericson7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:58:25 -0400

A service of the Northern Neck Audubon Society---
This didn’t make it on my first try - hope it goes through this time. Seems
good advice. Felicity

I asked for help with a droopy winged ibis that couldn’t fly. Below is the
reply I got. This was several days ago and the bird is doing well and even
flying short distances. But the wing still droops.
Felicity, Gloucester and Florida.

If it can get to water and is catching food, it is best to leave it alone.
They can climb up a branch to roost safely. If you see blood and the wing
starts dragging, then it needs to be caught. Don't startle the ibis, it
needs all its energy to survive, just keep a distance. I go on lots of
rescue missions and once I determine any bird with a drooping wing can fly
even a little, it has to stay where it is. A flight capable bird is
impossible to catch, plus, chasing it would do further damage.

You are subscribed to the NNASnet, a birding hotline
sponsored by the Northern Neck of Virginia Audubon Society.
with "leave" in the subject line (please omit quotation marks).
For other questions or comments about the listserver,
send messages to: nnasnet-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx