[nnasnet] Fw: Audubon Birdwalk of Monday, 5/12/14

  • From: "Vic Stover" <smok5y@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nnasnet" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 19:39:04 -0400

Enjoy the Sightings!!! Reta
----- Original Message -----
From: maryalyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Vic Stover
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:19 PM
Subject: Audubon Birdwalk of Monday, 5/12/14

Dear Reta,

     Thirteen members of the Northern Neck Audubon Club enjoyed a Birdwalk
yesterday on Monday, May 12, 2014, at The Newport News Park.  We had an 8 AM
start and the weather was glorious with full sun.  Halfway into the walk I took
off my extra jacket as it warmed up rather quickly and made shirtsleeves
comfortable as the temperature later climbed up into the 80's.

     Here are the bird species that we saw:  American Crow, Fish Crow, Brown
Thrasher, Blue Jay, Rock Pigeon, Eastern Bluebird, Laughing Gull, Red-bellied
Woodpecker, Northern Mockingbird, Tufted Titmouse, Great Crested Flycatcher,
Pileated Woodpecker, American Robin, Carolina Wren, Common Grackle, Eastern
Wood-Peewee, Summer Tanager, Great Blue Heron, Canada Goose, Turkey Vulture,
Red-winged Blackbird, Northern Cardinal, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Carolina
Chickadee, Prothonotary Warbler, Mallard, Common Yellowthroat, Osprey, Black
Vulture, Belted Kingfisher, Red-headed Woodpecker, Tree Swallow, European
Starling, Eastern Kingbird, Bald Eagle, Orchard Oriole, Mute Swan, Red-eyed
Vireo, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Green Heron and White-eyed Vireo for a
total of 40 species.

    Here's a tidbit I learned while preparing this month's write-up: Kenn
Kaufman mentions in his guide book that the Great Crested Flycatcher "has an
odd habit of adding a piece of shed snakeskin to its nest lining."  I found
this interesting since there is a lot of nest-building going on right now!

    Nine of us were able to go to lunch at a beautiful setting overlooking the
York River at the Riverwalk Restaurant in Yorktown.  A great time was had by
all.

                                                                      Happy
birding,

                                                                      Maryalyce