[nnasnet] Eastern Shore Birding Festival next weekend

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:52:13 -0400

All,

I thought I'd put a plug in for the ES Birding Festival that will be held
next weekend, October 5 - 7. It is based in Cape Charles but there will be
guided trips and events all over the lower Eastern Shore. The website is
pretty lame but if you go to http://www.esvafestivals.com/ and click on the
"Festivals" button, then on one of the "Full Weekend Pass" buttons, you'll
get a detailed list of the various trips you can choose from. The trips are
filled on a first come - first served basis so don't delay if you decide to
go; register and make your trip requests as soon as you can.

The jewel in their crown this year is the appearance of David Allen Sibley
as the keynote speaker Friday night. Many of you are aware that
David's *The Sibley
Guide to Birds* is thought by many to be finest birding field guide in the
world. David personally painted all of the thousands of illustrations and
silhouettes that appear in the book and his original art brings high prices
when it's available. It really is a special treat to have him appearing so
close to this area and I believe a book signing may be held after his
presentation.

If Roger Tory Peterson were appearing nearby many of us would go. David
Allen Sibley is this generation's RTP.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck