[nnasnet] Eagle sitting on her nest

  • From: Margaret Gerdts <maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:08:39 -0500

Twice last week, Thursday and Friday, I have seen "my" eagle sitting on her
nest.  On January 4, I saw her there for the first time, but she was only
checking it out as I did not see her on the nest again until last Thursday
(2/21).  This nest is about 500 yards from my house.  It is a very large nest
and there are times when she is in the nest that she is not visible.  It is
really wonderful to be able to see bald eagles almost every day!  In 2007, this
pair was nesting on my property, but in 2008 they moved closer to Robinson's
Creek and they have been nesting there each year since.  Two chicks have
fledged every year except 2011, when, according to Brian Watts of the William
and Mary Center for Conservation Biology, "They may have just taken a year
off."Every year, the CCB does a survey by plane to determine where eagle nests
are and if they are active.  One year, I actually saw the plane flying over
this area.
To see were eagle nests are in Virginia, go to ccbbirds.org (Center for
Conservation Biology) and the eagle nest locator will appear.  You can zoom in
and see exactly where the nests are located!Maggie GerdtsUrbanna, VA