[nnasnet] Curious

  • From: "MarCon" <mfullerton1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:19:14 -0500

This note is not about any spectacular sightings, truly unusual visitors, or
long extinct dactyls. Quite the opposite. Our neighborhood, in the far North
edge of Kilmarnock, has not seen birds at our feeders since hurricane Irene in
August 2011. We see 3 or 4 Crows occasionally, or a couple of Turkey Buzzards
looking for a meal, but no Robbins, House Finches, Gold Finches, White Throats,
Chipping Sparrows, Mourning Doves.Juncos, Woodpeckers, or any of the others
which used to keep us broke eating cakes of suet and bags of seed per day. Has
anyone else had a similar experience or know why this may have happened?
There has been one benefit from all of this. Without the birds singing and
fluttering around the feeders, and showing the squirrels where the food is, the
squirrels have also been absent even though feeders have been full. This has
saved some serious damage repair and general maintenance on the feeders. I'll
have to admit that we are down to maintaining a single feeder in face of this
long avian drought.
Mark and Connie Fullerton