[nim-dev] Re: Nim vs D

  • From: Libman <a@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nim-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 00:38:56 +0000

These are not the most important differences, but here are a couple of
observations I could add to this list:

* There was D1 (1999) and D2 (2007). Some people liked D1 and not D2, saying
that in the transition the language abandoned minimalist design philosophy
(comparing D1 to almost Golang) and got "bloated" (comparing D2 to almost
Rust). I think Nim has so far been more consistent, despite not yet hitting the
culturally significant "version 1.0" milestone.

* Nim is `genuinely free software <http://copyfree.org/resources/works#Nim>`_,
released under the MIT license (which I am particularly happy about, for
philosophical reasons). I think all noteworthy Nim tools and packages are
also. With D, the licensing story is more complicated. I think D1 started out
as closed-source. D2 (at least at some point) had a restrictively-licensed
GPL-incompatible back-end `"licensed from Symantec"
<http://dlang.org/faq.html#q5>`_. Then it was mostly GPL. And now it's a
mixture of multiple licenses, still including Copyleft dependencies `even in
the LLVM compiler <https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/blob/master/LICENSE>`_.