[nim-dev] Re: Compile dynlib from Nim

  • From: thatch45 <thatch45@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nim-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:39:37 +0000

Thank you, and yes, I would also like to see nim support in Salt. It is
becoming more popular to use Salt for distributed computing tasks, such as big
data, hpc and technical computing types of tasks. It would be great to be able
to build salt plugins in compiled languages such as Nim and add them to the
Salt workflow.
I would also like to explore a Nim implementation of the Salt loader (in a Nim
style of course) as I have become enamoured with Nim, compared to other modern
compiled languages I feel it does the best job of balancing performance with
usability, Julia has performance problems unless very carefully constructed,
Rust is amazing but does not expose the same level of ease of use that Nim does.

So, I would like to do many things, but primarily I would like to compile Nim
code dynamically and then be able to call it in a Nim way from Nim code, so I
could distribute nim compiled plugins that could be replaced and reloaded into
a running Nim program, much like how the Salt loader works with plugins.

I am also very interested in calling Nim from python, and vis-versa so I could
make a Nim program that could make use of the vast Salt libraries for systems
management etc.