12 mosques demolished in Capital in Pakistan Government drive

  • From: "Muslim News" <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:11:42 -0000

General Musharraf gets another credit

ISLAMABAD: Some 12 mosques were demolished in different sectors of the
federal capital on Wednesday. The operation was jointly carried out by
the Capital
Development Authority (CDA), Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT)
administration, District Auqaf Department (DAD) and capital police.

Official sources said that these mosques were razed as part of the
military government’s ongoing drive against religious parties, mosques
and Madaris in the country.

Two mosques were demolished in sector G-8/2, two at G-9/2 and two at
I-10/2, while one each at sectors H-8, I-10/4, I-8/3, I-10/3, F-11/1 and
I-8/1. There
was lot of resentment against demolishing mosques but no untoward
incident reported, official sources said.

The sources said some of the committees got stay orders against the
government action from the local courts. "However, the committees have
failed to produce before the courts any solid proof and document
confirming the legality of these mosques and Madaris," the sources said.
"The drive will continue and more mosques and Madaris will be demolished
in near future."

A DAD official said the ICT had set a criteria for prayer leaders under
which the Imam should have the qualification of Dars-i-Nizami, a degree
approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC) equivalent to masters
degree in Islamiyat and Arabic.

"Dars-i-Nizami is a 9-year course which is compulsory for the Imam of
every mosque," he said. Similarly, all Moazzans of mosques should be
Hafiz-i-Quran so that in case of the absence of Imam, they could lead
the
prayer, the official said.

http://www.balochistanpost.com/item.asp?ID=1330

You can choose whether you prefer to receive regular emails or a weekly digest
by visiting http://www.muslim-news.net

Archive: http://archive.muslim-news.net

You can subscribe by sending an email to request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
http://www.muslim-news.net

word "unsubscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
http://www.muslim-news.net

You are welcome to submit any relevant news story to submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For regular Islamic cultural articles by email, send email to
revivalist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx