[netmagis] Re: Problem to translate multi-view in Netmagis etc ...

  • From: Benoit Mandy <Benoit.Mandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: netmagis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:35:59 +0200

I answer to myself for the last question -> assign a dhcp profil for host.

For the first one, i presume that it is not implemented. (don't anybody need this ?)

For the 2nd, What do you think about ?

You can't do this for the moment : if a host has multiple addresses, the
zone file will have all its addresses associated to its domain name.
An interface and a data structure are needed to tell to which view an IP
address belongs.
Is it, by your way, a simple solution by using the field "critère" in zone managing ? That's what i will try to do.

Thanks

Benoit Mandy

Le 12/04/2012 10:39, Benoit Mandy a écrit :
Hello Jean,

Thanks for your answer.

Le 08/04/2012 17:01, Jean Benoit a écrit :
On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 05:30:15PM +0200, Benoit Mandy wrote:
     Netmagis is  great and we decide to use it. (on CentOS 6.2 -
some problems with "grant" on postgresql, some problems with ldap
connection, with shell scripts, but now it's ok)
We have some questions and didn't find any answers in documentation.
     - Search host by 'mac address' without TOPO installation ?
There is a specific problem if you collect mac address on uplink ports :
the mac address occurs more than once on your network. It becomes very
difficult to locate a host...

That's why the TOPO module is needed. It informs the mac address polling
process about which switch ports should be processed : mac addresses
are collected only on edge ports or never collected on uplink ports.
I'd  not  been explain clearly.
My question was : how to look for an input mac address as we can search for an IP address or a FQDN. I mentioned TOPO because this is the only way to have such item in menu.
     - We use views in our configuration. So, depending on where the
client comes from, the answer for the same domain will be different.
(For example : inside, it could be a private address and of course
from outside, it will be a public on for the same FQDN). How can we
do that ?
You can't do this for the moment : if a host has multiple addresses, the
zone file will have all its addresses associated to its domain name.
An interface and a data structure are needed to tell to which view an IP
address belongs.
Is it, by your way, a simple solution by using the field "critère" in zone managing ? That's what i will try to do.

     - Declare the same 'mac address' on multiple host in the same
domain. (for example : Visioconference station on multiple vlans)
If it's the same host, why does it have different names ?
You can have a host with a mac address and multiple IP addresses. The
DHCP server will give the right address depending on the originating
subnet of the request.
Yes, you're right.

For dhcpd config file generation, I don't find where to put :

Declaration for the whole (i'd modify mkdhcp with this code : lappend txt "...." ). By example : For VOIP, we have :
"option space telephone;"
"option telephone.phone-vlan-priority code 7 = unsigned integer 8;"
"option telephone.phone-vlan-id code 8 = unsigned integer 16;"

Or maybe the same problem, declarations for a group without profile or how to create and use a profile for these hosts while we haven't any dynamic addresses (each mac address has one IP address affected)? (I modify mkdhcp -> set conf(defprofile) { ... } )

--
Jean Benoit

Thanks for your help
Benoit Mandy