RESOUR> RESOURCES: Despite SARS and WAR, News Stories Highlight Tourist Resources

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:34:54 -0500

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Last updated at: (Beijing Time) Monday, March 31, 2003
<http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200303/31/eng20030331_114301.shtml>

Shanghai Municipality and its two neighboring provinces, Jiangsu and
Zhejiang, are joining hands to develop local tourism by combining their
tourism resources.

All three are located in the Yangtze Delta, one of the most developed
areas in China.

A number of programs and activities will be hosted in these areas,
including tourism fairs and expositions. The three will also form joint
delegations to attend domestic tourism expositionsand an international
tourism exposition hosted by other provinces.

They also plan to cooperate on a series of major international activities
in the coming few years.

---------------------
Ohio's state parks have a lot to offer
By James Carnes
Friday, April 4, 2003
<http://www.coshoctontribune.com/news/stories/
20030404/opinion/57915.html>

Just when we were wondering if the snow would ever end, at last the grass
is visible, the sun is shining (well, most days anyway) and we've even had
a few days with temperatures reaching into the 70s.

Now that our thoughts are turning to spring, many families are starting to
plan vacations and weekend getaways. As you begin this process I'd like to
take a few minutes to remind you of all the opportunities Ohio has to
offer when it comes to destinations for the family. So many times when we
think of going on a trip, we automatically think it will involve going to
another state. In actuality, there is something in Ohio to suit just about
any vacation preference -- from the islands and beaches of Lake Erie to
the mountainous terrain of Hocking Valley. Ohio is also home to some of
the latest technology in lightening-speed roller coasters and adventure
rides.

---------------------
Taking Wing
The State's new Birding and Wildlife Trail - part of a growing trend in
'avitourism' - is enough to set a birder's heart aflutter
By Candus Thomson
Sun Outdoors Writer
Originally published March 30, 2003
<http://www.sunspot.net/sports/outdoors/
bal-tr.birds30mar30,0,4157708.story?coll=bal-sports-outdoors>

A U.S. Forest Service survey in 2000 put the number of casual birders at
71 million, up from 21 million in 1982. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
estimates 46 million people are serious birders, who spend serious money,
as much as $34 billion annually on travel, guides and gear.

Virginia's birding trail is really 18 separate loops within the state's
coastal plain. Some of the shorter ones, such as the Bull Run Loop in the
densely populated northern suburbs of Washington, can be done in a day. By
contrast, the elongated Eastern Shore Loop could easily fill a three-day
weekend.

With a road map and the state's spiral-bound trail guide in hand,
adventurous sorts can improvise their own loop, starting at the end and
working backward or working from the middle to either end.

For our two-day excursion, a Sun photographer and I chose the 21-site
Northern Neck Loop for its eagles, waterfowl and history. We also liked
saying we were going to "No. Neck," the abbreviation on some Virginia maps
and road signs.

---------------------
The Scottish Executive
News release 03/12/2003 11:49:42 AM GMT
Airport rail link routes
<http://www.pressi.com/int/release/62274.html>

"Glasgow will also be the only city to have direct rail links to three
international airports. This will enhance the citys profile as a top
business and holiday location and provide a valuable boost to the economic
vitality of the West of Scotland.

"I have listened to businesses who have repeatedly stressed the need to
move quickly to achieve the airport rail link. This we are doing and it
will also improve links to Prestwick airport. We have chosen the most
direct route which will provide a fast 15 minute journey which passengers
should be able to enjoy from 2008. It will also improve links to
Renfrewshire, Inverclyde and Ayr."

The full report by consultants Sinclair Knight Merz is available on their
website at http://www.skmconsulting.com/index.cfm?id=1724. Copies of a map
of the rail link route are available on the SKM website.

---------------------

The full articles may be read at the URLs above.

Sincerely,
David Dillard Research Librarian
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ECP RingLeader
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters, New-list
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY