RESOUR> [NetGold] UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: FEDERAL : SECRECY: OpentheGovernment.org

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:51:39 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:40:46 -0500 (EST)
From: David P. Dillard <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: NetGold <NetGold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [NetGold] UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: FEDERAL : SECRECY:
     OpentheGovernment.org

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: FEDERAL : SECRECY: OpentheGovernment.org

This website is in Beta.

OpentheGovernment.org
<http://alpha.openthegovernment.org>

"We'd like to welcome you to the temporary website of
OpenTheGovernment.org, a coalition of Americans fighting government
secrecy.

The Problem

Our leaders are closing the doors of government. The government detains
hundreds in secret, writes an energy policy behind closed doors, allows
secret Patriot Act searches OK'd by secret courts, withholds data about
chemical contamination in our drinking water, and keeps too much
information classified and out of the public eye.

What OpenTheGovernment.org Will Do

We'll highlight alerts, reports and analyses from dozens of groups. This
coalition includes librarians, journalists, good government and
environmental groups, and labor. We are advocates defending the First
Amendment, promoting free expression, strengthening national security and
fighting censorship."

Website Contents

Press Room

Spotlight Stories
Experts Directory
Updates & Reports

Resource Center

Policy
Strategy
Library

Connect

Issues
Democracy
Environment, Health & Safety
National Security
Public Trust & Accountability

Take Action
Recent Alerts
Letters
Become an Advocate

Coalition Partners

American Association of Law Libraries
American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression
American Library Association
Association of Research Libraries
Center for American Progress
Center for Democracy and Technology
Common Cause
Electronic Privacy Information Center
Environmental Defense
Federation of American Scientists
Freedom of Information Center, University of Missouri School of Journalism
Fund for Constitutional Government
Government Accountability Project
Human Rights First (formerly Lawyers Committee for Human Rights)
National Coalition Against Censorship
National Coalition for History
National Freedom of Information Coalition
National Security Archive
OMB Watch
People For the American Way
Project On Government Oversight
Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
Society of Professional Journalists
U.S. Public Interest Research Group
Working Group on Community Right-to-Know

Raven O. M. Barnette
Vicki Biscay
Ms. Sunny Lynn Bradshaw
Dagmar M. Darjean
Mr. Kelly Freeman, Quincy, Florida
Paul Gagliardi
Lesley Haas, Baltimore, Maryland
Meredith Hoffman, Law Librarian
Rachel A. Hoover
Richard H. Howe, Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Melanie Jacobs
Scott Matheson, Hamden, CT
Courtney E. Michael, Wellesley, Massachusetts
Chris Miller, Gray, ME
James Milles, University at Buffalo Law Library
PJ Newman
Steven Nichols
Christina Otero
Aimee C. Piscitelli Quinn
Phil Runkel, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Elizabeth Sanders, Ithaca, New York
Jeff Sanderson
Marijah Sroczynski
Peter Suber, Public Knowledge
Steve Walker CA, Boise, Idaho
Dean Webb
Patricia Woodhouse

"We're asking you to join OpenTheGovernment.org by adding your name to
the Statement of Values. We're inviting both organizations and
individuals to sign -- just be sure to tell us how you'd like your name
to appear.

To protect the safety and well-being of our families, homes, and
communities; to hold our government accountable; and to defend the
freedoms upon which our democracy depends; we, the undersigned
individuals and organizations, believe the public has a right to
information held by our government.

The American way of life demands that government operate in the open to
be responsive to the public, to foster trust and confidence in
government, and to encourage public participation in civic and government
institutions.

The public's right to know promotes equal and equitable access to
government, encourages integrity in official conduct, and prevents
undisclosed and undue influence from special interests.

OpenTheGovernment.org seeks to advance the public's right to know and to
reduce secrecy in government."

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
<http://www.kovacs.com/medref-l/medref-l.html>

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html