RESOUR> Hemispheric Dominance

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:01:36 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

From: Steve <uriel1998@xxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: misc.education.home-school.misc
Subject: Resource: Hemispheric Dominance
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:10:04 -0500

(Long article, multiple links.  Thanks to Norma for these)

http://www.mtsu.edu/~devstud/advisor/hemis.html

"One way of looking at learning styles is to determine your
hemispheric dominance. Are you more right brained or left brained?
We know that the cerebral cortex is the part of the brain that houses
rational functions. It is divided into two hemispheres connected by a
thick band of nerve fibers (the corpus callosum) which sends messages
back and forth between the hemispheres. And while brain research
confirms that both sides of the brain are involved in nearly every
human activity, we do know that the left side of the brain is the
seat of language and processes in a logical and sequential order. The
right side is more visual and processes intuitively, holistically,
and randomly. Most people seem to have a dominant side. A key word is
that our dominance is a preference, not an absolute. When learning is
new, difficult, or stressful we PREFER to learn in a certain way. It
seems that our brain goes on autopilot to the preferred side. And
while nothing is entirely isolated on one side of the brain or the
other, the characteristics commonly attributed to each side of the
brain serve as an appropriate guide for ways of learning things more
efficiently and ways of reinforcing learning. Just as it was more
important for our purposes to determine that memory is stored in many
parts of the brain rather than learn the exact lobe for each part,
likewise it is not so much that we are biologically right brain or
left brain dominant, but that we are more comfortable with the
learning strategies characteristics of one over the other. What you
are doing is lengthening your list of strategies for learning how to
learn and trying to determine what works best for you. You can and
must use and develop both sides of the brain. But because the seat of
our preferences probably has more neural connections, learning may
occur faster. This section will look a t some differences between
left and right brain preferences. Be on the look out for practical
strategies that work for you.

Let's begin with a few basics. First, no one is totally left-brained
or totally right-brained. Just as you have a dominant hand, dominant
eye, and even a dominant foot, you probably have a dominant side of
the brain. Second, you can and must develop both sides of your brain.
Click on the link to an inventory which helps you determine the
balance of your hemispheres."

http://www.mtsu.edu/~devstud/advisor/hemispheric_dominance.html

http://www.indiana.edu/~eric_rec/ieo/bibs/left.html

This ERIC site offers a list of links on this subject for those who
are interested in learning how to tailor teaching for different
hemispheric dominances.

Steve

WHERE TO GO WHEN YOU NEED GRANT RESOURCES
Government Funding Resources Education Grants,
Scholarships & Loans, State Agency Phone Numbers for
Student Financial Aid, Business Plan Resources for Women,
Federal Department of Education Technology Grants
ARTS, Grants for Women, Grants for Women & Girls
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/grants.html>